Thoughts on buying a 1975 Balboa 20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2010
Balboa 20 Flathead Lake, MT
Hello all,
We've done a fair bit of research on boat types for our needs: trailerable, light (towing capacity <3500 lbs), sturdy for Montana lake sailing and the occasional trip to the Bellingham/San Juan area, comfortable for 2 overnight, occasionally up to 4 (sleeping in cockpit ok, and solidly built. The Balboa 20 made it to our short list and we've looked at a few online (unfortunately none in person). One in particular we're considering is a 1975, good condition, asking $3500 with trailer and 5hp motor. Any thoughts on this? I assume a 5hp is enough 'umph' for the boat? Any other specific thought for this particular year and 'issues' to double check for? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

jwa

Jan 31, 2010
Balboa Balboa 20 #123 backyard
It's going to depend on the boat's condition, but $3500 sounds too expensive. I paid $2500 and I paid too much for the condition of the boat. I would suggest something a little bigger than the b-20 for what your talking about. A balboa 26 would be much more roomy. ----jeff

Nov 24, 2010
26 balboa 26 big lake,ALASKA
kbarton

I picked up a 1974 balboa26 for $4000 with a 9.9 hp first year I got to know the boat and won 2 races for the next 3 years Including this one have won 3 championship overall boat,11 first places and the rest 2 and 3rds it was in good condition except for the electrical that I replaced I also have a assim spinnaker wich is constantly trying to over power the boat ( Ive had it up to 6.3 knots) and so I am very impressed with this 36 year old boat

Status
Not open for further replies.