Thoughts on 3 things from another 26'

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
So I was just searching other 26' O'Day's and ran across this boat for sale in Florida. I like the idea of access doors below the settees. Has anybody done this or something similar? Also, the other picture with a cam cleat in the cockpit. I am trying to figure out what they did here. The other picture shows what they did to either over seal or only seal their back plates. Has anybody at all used some type or sealant on their back plate deck plate as a back up for any water leakage?

I do like the idea of having a line hanger in the wine cellar (that's what I call it) below the cockpit near the battery.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The camclete looks to be used to tail the lines from the winch. My rigger and I were just discussing such an idea. 4 turns on the winch then snug the line in the clete and your good.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday 26 Lake Keowee,SC
about jpg 456... chain plate exit slot, I read an article years ago, recalled it, and used the info on my 85 Oday 26. I built a small dam around the chain plate exit and mixed epoxy and filled the dam with the mix. I built a rectangle @ 2" wide ( for/aft) and 3" long (port/starboard) and @ 1" high. when filled it makes a dam that the water has to be @ 1" high to get in the slot. I greased the chain plate so the mix would not stick to it. In the past year and a half NO water leaks at the chain plates , the boat is in South Carolina and docked 365 days, so lots of weather. The article was in either GOOD OLD BOAT OR SAIL, with some research you can find it, sorry no pics of my retro.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I don't know the inside of a 26 cockpit, but that pic of the cleats might be for cross sheeting, bringing the sheet from leeward winch up to windward side. But it seems like very strange routing. It also appears to be bringing a line across the bridge deck to starboard, then running aft along the seat, before turning up along the coaming. It's obscured a bit by the sheet coiled off the winch. It is also different line than the sheet, note it is thinner and has a blue tracer. Could this be alternative routing for the centerboard pendant? Although I can't imagine why you'd want the CB pendant set close to a winch.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
The cam cleat is receiving a line from a cheek blocks which are turning a line from the traveller.
And I think those chain plates look a little messy!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
The cam cleat is receiving a line from a cheek blocks which are turning a line from the traveller.
And I think those chain plates look a little messy!
Ahhh, traveler. That makes a lot of sense, trimmer could play the traveler.

And I agree, chainplates look horrible. I just now realize those turnbuckles have no cotter pins in them, just the bodies lashed together? No way, cut that off and put in proper cotter pins. And clean up all that muck. I hope that isn't silicone...

Aug 3, 2012
Yeah... I cannot see hauling much weight with those cheek blocks, though. I cannot imagine it is effective... It has no multiplying force, and the turns will increase resistance. This rig needs a redesign! I love redesigning! :)

Aug 3, 2012
I say we find this boat and fix it!
Oh wait... I gotta sail this weekend.
Oh well!