This Winter's Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
This winter I plan on tackling what started out last year being the replacement of the lip seal on my SureSeal dripless shaft seal. What should have be a $30, one hour project has, like most boat projects, turned into something much more!

Because of the small area between the SureSeal and the transmission coupling, a spare seal carrier was not able to be put on so I have to remove the shaft from the coupling which is very corroded.

So, taking the advice in a previous thread, I PB blasted the corroded bolts once a week for four weeks and when I went to the boat yesterday, the bolts came off with barely any effort. The hardest part was keeping the open ended wrench on the nuts after it had fallen into the puddle of PB!

The coupling is off and the next step will be getting the coupling off of the shaft. Since there is no chance of damaging the transmission now, I'm going to attempt to salvage the shaft (just because) but will resort to cutting it if it becomes too much of an issue.

My plan is to replace the coupling with the Buck Algonquin Split Coupling, the shaft with an Aquamet and either reuse the SureSeal or look at the PSS dripless.

For those of you that have replaced their shafts.....is it pre-cut or do I have to get it custom cut when I receive it? Can any machinist fit it to the coupling/prop or is that a specialty?

For those of you with PSS shaft seals.....how do you like them? Any problems with them?

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Give General Propeller a call in Bradenton Fl and discuss it with them ...they made my shaft and coupling (pressed on and trued) but i am sure they can provied a split coupling set up as well ....hope this helps...

regards

woody

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
This winter I plan on tackling what started out last year being the replacement of the lip seal on my SureSeal dripless shaft seal. What should have be a $30, one hour project has, like most boat projects, turned into something much more!

Because of the small area between the SureSeal and the transmission coupling, a spare seal carrier was not able to be put on so I have to remove the shaft from the coupling which is very corroded.

So, taking the advice in a previous thread, I PB blasted the corroded bolts once a week for four weeks and when I went to the boat yesterday, the bolts came off with barely any effort. The hardest part was keeping the open ended wrench on the nuts after it had fallen into the puddle of PB!

The coupling is off and the next step will be getting the coupling off of the shaft. Since there is no chance of damaging the transmission now, I'm going to attempt to salvage the shaft (just because) but will resort to cutting it if it becomes too much of an issue.
Nice work. I try to get mine apart on Friday. I hope it goes as well.

My plan is to replace the coupling with the Buck Algonquin Split Coupling, the shaft with an Aquamet and either reuse the SureSeal or look at the PSS dripless.

For those of you that have replaced their shafts.....is it pre-cut or do I have to get it custom cut when I receive it? Can any machinist fit it to the coupling/prop or is that a specialty?
Maine Sail did a post last year (I think?) on fitting and facing a coupling to a shaft. He even had a video of the process. If I recall correctly, he recommended to go with an experienced machinist that has done this task before. I have the opportunity to have a friend do this for free. I am also an hours drive from one of the machinist's Maine Sail recommended. I talked to them and they estimated the labor at $300-400. So I decided to go with them. I don't really have the time to research all the ins and outs of something like this and have trusted Maine Sail as my filter in the past. I see no reason to change now.

For those of you with PSS shaft seals.....how do you like them? Any problems with them?
I decided to go with the PSS. This was a combination of cost and feed back I read here and on Cruisersforum.com. The PSS seems to be reliable and many report 10 years of life before having any issues. I got my from Defender because they seemed to be the most reasonable on cost and I ordered several other items at the same time.

If I already had the SureSeal, I would just get the replacement seal. I would also look at getting a new hose. I might even go shorter so you have room to fit an extra seal.

Can't wait to here how the project goes.

Good luck,

Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.