This looks fun!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It looks a lot more stabile than the AC Catamarans did while foiling. Still I wonder what happens when the hull hits a wave and the drag goes suddenly way up. Maybe it just slows down but I would think there would be big shock loads with the deceleration. Stay tuned. It is exciting.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Sorry, Lots to think about but, at the end of the day "That's just too F&&ing Cool!!"

There are all sorts of issues and of course taking boats from 7 kts where a crash doesn't hurt (too much) to 40 kts (where it could be fatal) is a big deal. The advances in technology are amazing, thinking back to the AC and comparing the advances when we saw the wing keel to now is really amazing. Its hard to believe we are building race boats now that are faster than most of the chase boats and can foil around a race course with ease.

I'll never have one but they are sure fun to watch.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I also wonder what happens when a gust hits when they are not foiling. Where is the righting moment then?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I also wonder what happens when a gust hits when they are not foiling. Where is the righting moment then?
The foils would act as dampeners to sudden lateral forces.
Righting moment is non-existent unless the foils are also pontoons.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Very cool, exciting boat.. amazing !!
Entirely impractical here in the land of thin waters, though..

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
iirc, specs for the boat is also self righting. so there must be some weught in the gecko arms along with the foils shape

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Gee, I'll take one for my summer home and one for the winter palace.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
iirc, specs for the boat is also self righting. so there must be some weught in the gecko arms along with the foils shape
That is what I was thinking.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Entirely impractical here in the land of thin waters
This is not about practical. It is about racing and pushing the envelope on sailing and flying. Kind of like the space exploration. Maybe there will be flow down technology that will creep onto practical boats. i.e. light weight materials, hull shapes, electronic equipment, hull design etc.