This is for the birds...

Feb 1, 2017
Pearson Commander Port JeffersNYon
Hey Kermit:
Being a land lubber all my life, and an avid birder, I know that every bird on earth is terrified of Owls and Hawks (falcons etc). Try putting a decoy anywhere a few feet up above the roof.
joe

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Why can't you see the top of the mast when sailing? Probably a stupid question....Pat

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Why can't you see the top of the mast when sailing? Probably a stupid question....Pat
Not a stupid question at all. I probably could see it but I don't want to have to strain my neck to look at it. (I had one on my H23 and hated it.) I use cassette tape on the shrouds at pretty-much eye level. Yes, I've read the reasons why it's not as accurate as awindex at the top of the mast. A strained neck just isn't worth it to me.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Those coathangers may keep the birds off, but think what might happen in a lightning storm! The bird-scaring LED /ultrasonic thing may annoy the neighbors as much as the birds. Plastic spikes seem to work in our mooring field. We don't like the windage or look so we string monofilament which you can't see from the deck. It discourages cormorants for us. The ospreys don't seem to roost on masts around here.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Once worked in a large two story industrial plant with a huge roof seagull problem. Someone determined that plastic owls mounted every twenty feet along the perimeter parapet wall should do the trick. I arrived in the parking lot about 9 AM to observe the contractor installing the fifth owl in the first row. Half a dozen seagulls were hiding behind fourth owl along the wall watching the installer fastening the next one twenty feet away. I got a good laugh. Sorry no picture.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Haul a speaker up the mast and PLAY a CD of Bald Eagle calls on a never ending loop at full volume. You might attract a few bald eagles but get rid of everything else. I watched a blue heron eat a frog one day, he really worked at it to get the legs in the right direction to slide down that long neck.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I watched a cormorant trying to swallow a catfish that was almost too big for him. I truly thought the catfish was gonna win. Especially once the spike passed the point of no return. The cormorant eventually got it all the way down.