This is crazy

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I love it.
The tether gets the sail up where the winds are stronger, but I could see such a rig on the top of a mast too. Like attaching a hang glider to your sailboat.
1618572428059.png

It has to be a real bummer to have your kite hit the water.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Years ago there was a presentation at a sail loft in Huntington. The speaker, if I remember, was Christopher Pastone, who also wrote “Temple to the Wind” about the AC and Nathanial Herresoff. He had a satellite link up with a guy in Namibia, who was going for a speed record. So we had a live interview and videos of speed attempts including some crashes. Long way to get here but that guy is crazy. He was actually on the water. So the “Boat” could go unstable in a heartbeat. At least the kite versions are less affected by waves (The boat in Namibia couldn’t have any waves). At what point do the kite foilers rip the foil out of the water? Are they then an aircraft?

Nov 10, 2009
Hunter 410 Rock Hall, MD
I understand racing and the obvious need for speed, if not tactics as well. However, my pleasure comes from quietly moving along at 5-10 knots in a breeze taking my time and letting life unwind for a while. I used to enjoy the 12 meter AC boats because they were not unlike the boats I sail. It was easy to imagine the points of sail and deciding when to tack, etc. The rockets they are building now... I can't imagine having to wear helmets, body armor, and survival air packs to go sailing. All of that ruins the beauty of what I enjoy about sailing.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I really enjoyed following Paul Larsen's persuit of the world speed sailing record. As an engineer I appreciated the development of the boat as much as the sailing. It has nothing to do with how I sail but I still found it fascinating.
The latest America's Cup racing was a lot of fun to follow. It was great to be able to listen in to the teams discussions. I was amazed how much of the dialogue on board was very similar to club racing, at least as much as match racing can be.
As a cruiser, the AC is not much like how we sail but as a racer, there are similarities. I enjoyed the 36th AC more than any in the past, mostly because of the onboard views.
I'm not as much interested in the kite boats but part of me is curious enough to follow along and see how this race for the record plays out.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I like the idea of the kite sail and can imagine using one on a polynesian styled sailing rig with a 2' or 3' mast and some guide lines to the amas for fine tune control. The part I have a hard time imagining is how to reef.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The part I have a hard time imagining is how to reef.
You don't reef. The kite sail comes in, in a storm, because the air is unpredictable and you don't want it in the water when you are fighting the waves. Otherwise, you just go faster in higher winds. It won't knock you down, so just enjoy the added speed. If you fly it at the head of a short mast, kant it at a flatter angle to reduce the heeling moment.

I, of course, don't know, but this is how it looks like it would work, to me.

-Will (Dragonfly)

• Helpful

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The LibertyKite® - Add a kite wing to tow your boat Looks like a similar tech, this web site advertises the kite for emergency, I'm thingking Add this unit to your sail plan, go fast? and please post results on sailboatowners.com
The funniest thing about that picture is imagining power boaters trying to figure out how to sail with a kite in an emergency. Heck, even the average sailor would struggle with it.