Third Reefing Point

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
Does anyone have any thoughts as to adding a third reef to the mainsail on a Hunter 240? I was going to repurpose the topping lift line that runs through the boom for the the second reef line but I don't want to loose the outhaul line for the third. The sail area would be so small at the third reef that I could probably just add a cleat to the middle of the boom and tie it off. We often get over 20 knot winds on Lake Lanier and Dave is right about keeping the heal as close to 12 degrees for best speed. My first reef can not do that as I put it in at 10 to 12 knots. I am ordering a new main as I think that I have made most of the sail handling errors over the last two years on the original main (1998) and it is getting very heavy do to the weight of all the sail tape. I don't have the experience with a second reef to know if it will be sufficient.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I got a new main for my H26 and wished I had ordered a third set of reef points.

the 240 is a very similar design.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I got a new main for my H26 and wished I had ordered a third set of reef points.

the 240 is a very similar design.
Both boats are very tender until they heel about 20 degrees. Mine gets stiff at 35 degrees but you can't really sail very well at that angle. I added 400 lbs of ballast under the cabin seats and that keeps the bow in the water very well.