Thinking of moving up!

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I have a question for the group. My wife, the admiral, has been having a rough time this season with the size of our 30. She doesn't care to sleep in the V birth. Too claustrophobic for her so we end up sleeping on the table. We have also entertained another couple but only for day sails. We haven't been sailing as much this season because of this. She hints a bigger boat would give us more privacy ( a bigger V birth). I think she would love an island birth. We've owned Lovely Lady for 8 seasons now and was wondering your thoughts on how different sailing the C34 or the C36 even contemplating going up to the C380 or the C387 would be? I have not sailed on any Catalina other than mine. Would we be taking on too much growth/learning curve?

Bob Smith
1995 MK III Hull# 6324, Lovely Lady
Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I rented a Catalina 36 1997 model in Florida this year. Found the sailing characteristics to be quite similar to my 30. You lose a little feel, but as you go up in size on any boat that happens. Over 1 foot wider with two private cabins. Found the motor to be noisier as it is directly below you as you stand in the cockpit.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
She hints a bigger boat would give us more privacy ( a bigger V birth).
And you haven't called your broker yet ????
Yeah, there's a difference, my friend once remarked "I can't believe this boat is only 2 feet bigger than mine", he forgot it's a foot wider also. Bigger is faster, drier etc., I don't recommend my 320 because the V-berth is no better, but I'd have a 34 or 36 now except my wife has a leg injury that makes the companionway steps a high priority. They all pivot on a fin keel under power so you can still spin the boat in little more than it's own length.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Complexity is bound to increase. Raising and lowering sails, docking, leaving docks, bottom maintenance, upper deck and hull cleaning etc. Still, more room is always nice :p
We went with the Hunter 30 because of the large aft queen berth and roomy V berth among other reasons. The admiral loves the cabin space.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Hey Ted, If you want to hand me down the 320, I'll take it. I would love not getting the gear cover in the hip at night.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
It's amazing what we'll do to keep the admiral happy :dancing:

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
We looked for a 380 for 2 years and recently purchased one in San Diego. I can't stop saying to the Admiral " I love this boat". It is taking a bit of getting used to sail wise and maintenance, slip fees, etc. are more but well worth it in my opinion. We really love the fore and aft full size berth in the aft cabin. It takes a bit of getting used to the low overhead but hey...you spend your time in there laying down. The Vee berth is no bigger than the 30, but it does have a vanity sink and you can close the cabin door for privacy. I love having a separate shower and all in all it's been quite the step up. Good luck in your search. Remember: there are as many opinions on the "perfect" boat as there are types of boats. We started by making a list of what we wanted, what we needed, and what would be nice to have. Then we started looking at different boats. We fell in love with the 380. We looked at a bunch of them and 400's until we found the one for us.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
I had the same situation. We went from a Catalina 34 (which was a great boat!) to a Catalina 400 MKII. The main reason was the sleeping accomodations - aft cabin, centerline queen bed. My wife loves it. That counts for a lot! I love it too. The boat is comfortable, sails well, and is very well suited to our cruising waters. We sail out of Santa Cruz, CA from Monterey to San Francisco. The down side is that yes, the systems are more complex and everything costs more money. My brother and sister-in-law had a similar situation and went from a Catalina 36 to a Catalina 380. They too, love it! By the way, I believe that the boat is as easy, or perhaps easier, to sail with just the two of us, than our previous, smaller, boat. The boat is more stable, and being newer, it has some upgrades. I have the in-mast furler. My brother has the in-boom furler. They both work very well and we have had no problems. They certainly make sailing easier for a couple of couples in their late 60's.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Hey Ted, If you want to hand me down the 320, I'll take it. I would love not getting the gear cover in the hip at night.
Funny thing, 3 years after I sold my 270 the buyers called me and said they'd sold it and had been shopping for a 320, they REALLY hoped I was ready to sell mine. I've got my OCD under better control now thanks to medication, and rum.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bob,

I was on m,y stupid phone when I answered earlier.

The C34 & C36 are essentially the same boats with different layouts. Neither has a walk around berth. The C34 V berth is huge.

We went from a C25 to a C34. Size for you is NOT an issue. It simply means you just learn the stuff you already know all over again in terms of speed, time & distance. NOT an issue.

Most boats of thus size have pretty identical "systems." Electrical you know about. Water pumps, engines, bilge pumps, what else? Not much different, just a bigger hull & rig.

My wife said the same thing to me 19 years ago and we spent an entire year looking. We just moved to Canada and my son & I are bringing the boat up the coast from SF to Vancouver Island.

You won't regret moving up, or pleasing your wife.

Good luck.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I wonder when yacht designers got around to making the v-berth the place to "sleep." I've yet to meet one that I really liked much. We have a very nice one on the Bavaria 38E with a custom mattress; but, we put our guests or crew up there. Admiral much prefers the quarter berth, which is large/roomy. For another thing, it's warmer. So, I would not search for a boat for a v-berth and expect much difference as others above have intimated. They look nice and all of that, but they're not very functional or comfortable for sleeping. So, that puts you looking toward the aft sections which brings you to the Cat 380 or similar, but usually to a center cockpit model in a boat under 40 ft. Among others with center cockpits, however, check out the Bavaria 38 Ocean CC. All of these big and fat comfort boats sail about the same with some a little slower or faster than others, etc. They are often rigged to be sailed w/o leaving the cockpit except occasionally. So, ¡No hay problema!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/Bavaria-38-Ocean-Center-Cockpit-2857405/Grenada

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
So, I would not search for a boat for a v-berth and expect much difference as others above have intimated. They look nice and all of that, but they're not very functional or comfortable for sleeping.
I agree with everything else, 'cept this part. :)

Our V berth is HUGE. We can sleep sideways in it as a single. There is SO MUCH foot room that Imelda Marcos could store all her shoes in and two people could still sleep comfortably. :) Admittedly, it is RARE for a boat of our size to have this feature, but it does.

What this DOES remind me of, though, is this: when boat looking ALWAYS get yourself in all the berths on the boat and use them to see if they work for you. This is even before you consider foam, the thickness of the cushions, etc. Sometimes they don't let you do this at boat shows, which is pretty stupid on their part, but I can understand why, since some boat show boats are already bought vessels that the new owners have loaned to the dealers for use at shows.

Also, consider HOW you are going to USE your boat. Marina hopper means real sea berths aren't required, etc., and can support a walk around berth better than someone who is considering or planning overnights at sea.

Good luck.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Each boat may have a different configuration for their V berth. Don't even bother looking at the Hunter 34. The platform sits quite high requiring a step to get up there and then the ceiling is too low not having adequate space to sit. I can sleep in tight places but getting in and out of some of these is ridiculous.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Each boat may have a different configuration for their V berth. Don't even bother looking at the Hunter 34. The platform sits quite high requiring a step to get up there and then the ceiling is too low not having adequate space to sit or turn around. Don't fancy exiting head first. I can sleep in tight places but getting in and out of some of these is ridiculous.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
We stepped up from a 22 ft day sailor to our Catalina 36 TR this year, and could not be happier. Before we bought, however, we chartered one in Florida. That charter was critically important to prove to us that we could live in the room, sleep in the berths, and handle the boat ourselves. Catalinas are common in the second-tier charter trade, so you can easily find one if you don't mind travelling. As noted earlier, when length goes up, volume goes up in cubes, so a 36 is much roomier than a 30, but also more to handle and costlier. I think that you get used to the size of your boat, just like you do when you first buy a larger or smaller car. After the first year, it's just the right size of boat. As noted previously, the systems are largely the same as your 30, but a bit larger (35 hp engine vs. a 25 hp engine - it still needs fuel, oil, and maintenance the same). As everyone says, the "perfect" boat is a balance between comfort, performance, durability, etc. We wanted the nice interior space and a 34 was just a little cramped, but did not feel comfortable single-handing the 38 or 40. For cruising, I think that the majority of tasks should be able to be done with a single crew member.

As far as V-berths, I understand the 34, 36, and 38 all have the same dimensions up there. Our 36 V-berth is enormous -- so much so that you need custom sheets because it's longer than standard king-sized fitted sheets. It is set high for structural reasons, so shorter people may need a 12-inch step stool to get over the edge. The extra two feet from 34 to 36 goes into the saloon and head. The 34 head is too small for me to change my mind in, much less my clothes! Everyone says that they use the aft cabin for guests, or mainly storage "the garage" -- I agree. That's where we keep our foulies, extra sails, water toys, etc. By the way, check out the Catalina 36 international association web page https://www.catalina36.org/ Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Oct 29, 2013
Elan Impression 434 80 RIYC
We love our 1999 36 MK II, but are moving up to a 400 for retirement, when we sell our 36. Many upgrades! All new $15k B&G complete autopilot system and electronics in 2015. Send me your info if interested.

Last edited:

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
It's all about timing, there is not a lot for sale within a 2 hour ride. I have an appointment to see a 34 this week. There are two mid 2000 C350 close by that are lightly used. I am actually surprised at the number of C350's on Yachtworld when you search between 34 - 38. I'll PM you.