Thinking of buying a Sandpiper had a few question

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie

I was thinking of buying a sandpiper. I have no idea how to sail and my first question is would this be a good boat to learn on. Also is there much maintenance on a boat like this. Third question is how long of a trip could I go on with a boat like this. Would I be able to Sail from PEI to say the Magdalen Islands safely or would that be to far a trip for one of these boats. If so anyone know how long it would take to make a journey like that at an average speed. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

M

Michel

The Sandpiper as a first boat

I learned to sail ( We never stop to learn really!) on a Sandpiper. I still sail on her and I have no plan to change boat. I think it is a very good boat to learn on. It is safe and stable as many bigger boats but it requires good attention at the same times. About maintenance, I could say "Big boat+ big troubles and $$$. The Piper is a simple and modest little boat but it is rock solid. It is not very fast ( + or- 5 knots) in a good wind but I dont see why it could not engage in short sea going voyages as you mention. These boats were made in England some times ago and many were sailing in the english channel. It tells something about its sea going capacities.

D

David Stanley Smith (david.smith@crcn.net)

first boat

I would recommend the Sandpiper as a first boat. However, every small boat is a compromise of price, performance, portability(including launch and recovery ease), towing weight, accomodation, seaworthiness, resale value, etc. Furthermore, one's choice is also determined by what's available. I think around 1200 Sandpipers were built, so there's usually one available somewhere. Then there's the matter of rigging. If you do everything alone, then the lighter the rig, the easier it is to step the mast etc. Some years ago, I owned a West Wight Potter 15, and rigging and launching was total simplicity. I next owned a Siren 17 and found the rig easy to pop up single handed without any lifting mechanism. The Sandpiper rig is a little heavier again, but can still be raised by one person. However, I would like an additionl person available during mast raising and launching. Towing weight is also an issue. A Sandpiper with trailer, gear,and outboard could weigh around 1600 pounds or more. This is at or beyond the towing limit of some four-cylinder cars. With my Potter, it was an easy matter to launch for a short afternoon sail. Launching the Sandpiper for a short sail is more of a time commitment. Learning to sail one of these boats is not difficult. I would suggest finding someone who knows how to sail to go along with you a couple of times in order to learn the technique. As for maintenance, it really depends on how fussy you are about appearance and whether the boat has been looked after by the previous owner(s). I keep my boat under a full tarp in the off season and keep the boat cut-polished and waxed. I also keep all the woodwork varnished and have added many little "improvements"; consequently, I probably do more maintenance than others. Would I take the boat offshore? To some degree, yes, but I think boats like the Sandpiper are really designed as coastal boats, so in my opinion, a sixty mile offshore trip might be pushing the limit. (I have the indulgence of a second boat--a twin keel British Westerly--if I want to venture farther). I have equipped my Sandpiper with reinforced stanchion and rail supports and complete lifelines etc., but would still think twice about straying too far offshore. After all, the Sandpiper has a fairly light rig. People have sailed smaller boats across oceans, but they are usually VERY experienced, and the boats are usually modified and reinforced to some degree. Good luck on your search for a Sandpiper.

M

Mike

New Sandpiper owner

After years of ski boats and jet skis, I just got a sandpiper (hull 704) from my wife for our 30th anniversary. I had checked out a number of other boats with sailer friends, and glad I did as this is one awesome lot of fun to sail. Still very much in leaning mode - I now know what a boomvang is and to yell hard a lee when I am turning, but I am really enjoying getting out and just sailing. Are there other owners in the Maritimes?? Mike

E

Eric

I'll echo the previous posters

Hi Jamie. I have owned my Sandpiper for 6 years now. It is my first sailboat, and has been a joy to own and sail. It's a terrific boat to learn about sailing, which is the trailering, rigging launching, sailing and boat maintenance. It is great for trailering around to various destinations, and pretty easy to rig and launch. As David said, boats are a compromise. The Potter and Siren he mentions are perhaps easier to rig up, but lack the cabin space of a 'piper. Maintenance is up to you. If you find a boat that is a fixer upper, then of course you will have some work to do. These boat were made from the early '70;s to the early mid 80's, so how they have been looked after by previous owners is very important. I would advise you to get someone with some experience to look over any possible purchase before laying your money down. The best person to evaluate a boat is a surveyor, but they cost money. A surveyor is a little overkill for a Sandpiper, but it may be your only choice. ALL sailboats require maintenance of some sort. I'd have to say from my experiences, from reading forums, magazines, and talking to other sailors, that the Sandpiper's maintenance requirements are moderate, to minimal(depending on personal preference and the quaity of the boat to start with). Also due to it's size, rigging, sails and parts are less expensive. As far as cruising is concerned, I've stayed aboard for 4 days, with one crew, or with my two sons. Others have cruised for a week or more. Read up as much as you can about boats and sailing. I read Sailing for Dummies, when I first got my boat. It's an easy book to read, and covers just about everything you'll need to know to sail a Sandpiper. Good luck in your search. Eric

P

paul

Got good news for u

I have enjoyed a sandpiper for 5-6 years now, we had sailed bigger boats with bigger commitments before and have indeed appreciated her simplicity and ease of maneuvring. She's a doll. I was looking at the market, trying to find comparables, but there appear to be none fos sale anywhere! People just hang on to them, as they are so convenient and affordable to keep, I guess. So let me know if you're still on the market, as I will be taking pictures and posting ads on boats.com and possibly ebay. She is in exceptional shape, with lots of extras (newer motor, dodger + full cockpit enclosure, barbecue, upgrade interior and perfect gelcoat and teak all around) It's still at her dock, will probably be ou by next week-end, so if you want to take her out, reply soon! Paul paulgermain@videotron.ca 450-458-3200

Status
Not open for further replies.