Thinking about painting my hull

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Idle related curiosity - they wrap cars these days to change color and protect the original paint, could they/do they wrap boats as well? And if so, any idea of how much that costs per foot? Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the winter wrap, but a hull wrap which would just appear to change the color of the hull.
They do it all the time here. Very common

Ged AU

Apr 8, 2021
Calypso Caper Cat 14 Zilzie
You know what’s even prettier than a sailboat? A green sailboat (or red or blue or whatever).

have any of you done this?

i know there are lots of reasons not to, but I’m still thinking about it.
Probably a pleasant enough job if the gelcoat is original and no one has run a mono-coat over the hull that will require a lot of elbow grease to erase cause you can't paint over mono with epoxy. Green hull, red sails my favourite combo btw. Ged

Apr 7, 2021
Cape Dory 22 Clear Lake
You know what’s even prettier than a sailboat? A green sailboat (or red or blue or whatever).

have any of you done this?

i know there are lots of reasons not to, but I’m still thinking about it.
I know this is off topic, but I noticed you've owned a Catalina 18. I've been looking to buy a Catalina 18 for 2 years now, up in Northern California. I've tried searching everywhere, including Craigslist. I've even advertised that I'm looking for one, but haven't had any luck so far.
Enjoy

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
First coat of Interlux Perfection put on yesterday with a foam roller and not tipped.
3CFA3BF2-EF62-489E-84AF-292548465C90.jpeg
F33008BD-1325-480A-8041-E17E4139A86C.jpeg

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
I didn't do anything special but I think I (accidentally) discovered the secret to a near perfect application of Interlux Perfection: thin coats and cool temperatures. The minimum application temp is 50 degrees. It was 53 when I put it on. The cool temp gave the paint time to flow out and any bubbles to dissipate before setting up, without tipping. And the 2-part Perfection is a quality product. I just hope I don't mess it up when I do the next two coats this weekend.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
I bet you're onto something there....it'd be interesting to do some testing on some random chunk of material. I'm most amazed because you're working on a sub-vertical surface. I've used Interlux (the one part stuff) before but it was a dead horizontal. Pretty fantastic stuff!

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I know this is off topic, but I noticed you've owned a Catalina 18. I've been looking to buy a Catalina 18 for 2 years now, up in Northern California. I've tried searching everywhere, including Craigslist. I've even advertised that I'm looking for one, but haven't had any luck so far.
Enjoy
I love this boat!
I was aboard a hunter 23 last summer that gave me some 5-foot-itis, but then you come back to reality of towing weight, and rigging time, and how do you raise that monster mast?

I was looking for a compac 19 when I found my Capri. All the compacs I found were in awful shape, and they wanted too much for them.
ggod luck on your search!