Think this will work for mast climbing??

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
:yikes:

Seems like a good plan, at least if you have a wooden mast. Bonus points for style if nothing else.

Definitely a better plan than this guy had -
. I don’t usually have a problem with heights, but seeing him reaching around on the top of the mast without a harness made my physically uncomfortable.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
We have a local rigger that free-climbs the mast by pulling himself up using the shrouds. He has a helper that tails his bosun's chair by hand to give him a couple of rest stops on the way up and support him when he gets to the top.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've met a lot more guys that can climb a mast w/o any mechanical assistance than one would expect. I'm not one.
Give me my good old bosun's chair and a six purchase (OK, maybe 8 these days) block and tackle, and I'll be up there sooner or later.

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
After watching the video, Seems like he could have loosened the back stays to help get the front stay loose??

:yikes:

Seems like a good plan, at least if you have a wooden mast. Bonus points for style if nothing else.

Definitely a better plan than this guy had -
. I don’t usually have a problem with heights, but seeing him reaching around on the top of the mast without a harness made my physically uncomfortable.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
After watching the video, Seems like he could have loosened the back stays to help get the front stay loose?
I was thinking the same thing. I'd rather have the mast lean a little more forward on a good pin, than a little more backwards on a bad pin.

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I wa wondering why the original cotter pin either sheared off or came out. From the video, it seems it sheared off. That would make me very nervous and want to know why and address that root cause. It looked to me from the video that the hole in the mast had elongated slightly. If that were my rigging, I think I'd change that pin to a shoulder bolt. He didn't have that option where he was, but arriving to a port where I could address that problem better, that would be my plan of action.

dj

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The old islander is obviously a pro, 70 years experience climbing palm trees...but I doubt he could climb a slippery, anodized aluminum mast very well. Regular humans have no chance !

I like Drake‘s mast steps...he was up and down the mast 7 times without aid. But he should have had a harness on and tied off...

Greg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
We have a local rigger that free-climbs the mast by pulling himself up using the shrouds. He has a helper that tails his bosun's chair by hand to give him a couple of rest stops on the way up and support him when he gets to the top.
That is the way our rigger does it, but in addition he tails the line himself.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Good vid. No music to add drama. The drama is in the story - which unfolded like most boat projects do. The blue air around the top of the mast is authentic. I cringe about him not tying off but he seems comfortable up there and there is a lot to hold onto. I'm a little surprised he put a cotter pin back in. Next passage under sail would be pretty much sleepless for me.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
2 petzl ascenders. 2 etriers for the feet . one homemade bosun chair w wooden seat , back support , 3 inches closed core foam padding , and numerous tool pockets.