things with wings

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
Emily Dickerson wrote "hope is a thing with feathers" and Woody Allen's "my uncle herbie is a thing with feathers": I say our boats are things with wings. Today, after a windy Monday launch with a hairy mooring pick-up and Tuesday's boat sponge bath (funny how my capri can go from pristine to salt-encrusted in one day), today was the sail that makes it all worth while, a ten knot wind close hauled and reaching around the Miserys to Manchester then broad reaching back to Salem. A perfect three beer boat ride. I even got my mooring on the first go (unlike Monday's seven tries in 30 kt wind). With a few white caps at first, I had no jib and a tight main, outside of the harbor some jib and a looser main had my boat sprouting wings, flying to the islands. Can't wait to do it all again tomorrow.
Wooster w/wings

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Briefly passed by your neighborhood a couple weeks ago. Enroute from Maine to Logan, then down to Florida and finally home to Oregon.

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
Yesterday was more "things with wings", light wind, (8 kts ?), no white caps yet clearly defined ripples/wavelets. With a very loose main (no Cunningham, no outhaul - clew ten inches forward of boom end) and all 135% jib, gave me a satisfying 4,5 knots. Close hauled/reaching out of Salem harbor, past Haste and Coney islands, beyond Bowdich ledge then between Misery and Baker's islands. Once past these barrier islands the cold Atlantic had a gentle three foot swell making the ride rhythmic and entertaining all the way to Magnolia/Gloucester. Then as if to compensate me for good things I've yet to do, nature shifted the wind from ESE to S, with a 4 knot close reach back to Salem. Orion covered 20 miles in four hours; barring tacking out/in of Salem harbor, I had one jibe off Rafe's Chasm, my turn around point. Heading home, I looked over my shoulder at the rolling ocean's expanse, wishing this could go on for ever; however, today family and I board a bigger ship in Boston for a Bermuda cruise. Fun of a different sort.
Wooster

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Super jealous of your sailing venue dude... nice writeup.