Thin hull areas along keel pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cap'n Scott

Has anyone ever noticed or had reason to be concerned with the thickness of the 26-B along both sides of the keel pocket? I raise this issue only because years ago while inspecting for water seepage below cabin floor I suprized to see light coming through the fiberglass of the hull just port side of the keel trunk. Of course later I found that the leak originated from the pivot pin when under stress (makin +5 knots). Situation: It was a sunny day in the harbor 12-15'. Apparently, the reflected sun light was bright enough for some to show thru toe gel coat and glass layers. Yes, the bottom paint had worn a little thin in places that year. But has anyone ever done any more with this? Ca'n Scott

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
The clearer the light comes through ....

only happens with 'good' fiberglass structure .... no 'dry' or insufficient resin poor areas that would block/diffuse the light. The boat manufacturer used pretty good and fresh resin to have this happen so 'noticeably'. The less 'air' trapped in the laminate the greater the light transmission.

Dec 7, 2005
- - Port Orchard
What kind of fiberglass?

I have a 1976 B-26. Would anyone happen to know the fiberglass layup schedule for the hull, from bottom of trunk to toerail, bow to stern? Also, what kind of resin was used originally - epoxy or polyester? I have used West System epoxy and like the results on my sea kyak. Will be doing some repairs to the Balboa, but will have to use polyester resin since I need quantity (poly is $25/gal, epoxy WS is way more). I will be dropping the keel sometime in the next six months, so I will let know what I find and what I wind up doing regarding the center trunk integrity. Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.