They all come to an end.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
At least for most of us in New England. Halloween 2020 began below 20F. So we waited until after noon when the sun had warmed things up. Not surprisingly, there was no wait for dock space.

Sail flaking fall 2020.jpg

I had some great help stripping off and flaking sails, removing booms and running rigging, and finally lowering the mizzen mast.

Pulling mizzen 2020 2.JPEG

It was a strange October. Usually one of the best months for sailing on the coast of Maine, this one was cold and wet.

The boat is hauled on Thursday, November 5, when it's supposed to hit 60F.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Swept back spreaders on Mizzen Mast because there is no "Back Stay" due to the mizzen boom? Strut on the fore side of the Mizzen for a similar reason? You don't want a foreward stay in the cockpit? Also a main boom problem?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Beautiful boat, beautiful harbor, and a beautiful day. Job well done!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Swept back spreaders on Mizzen Mast because there is no "Back Stay" due to the mizzen boom? Strut on the fore side of the Mizzen for a similar reason? You don't want a foreward stay in the cockpit? Also a main boom problem?
There are 2 sets of shrouds just forward of the mast step; first pair out goes to strut base, the second set - chainplate farther forward - goes to the mast head. You're right, these have to allow the main boom to swing.

AFt of the mast step and the swept-back spreader/main stays, there is a lower set that attaches at the spreader base.

Finally, there is a set of running backs that go from the masthead to the outboard corners of the aft deck. These attach with pelican hooks and need to be removed (the side that interferes with the sail camber), if running downwind.

Those aft running backs are also important if you're setting the mizzen staysail which pulls the stick forward.

The mainmast aft stay is off-set, just to starboard of the mizzen. That constraint also sets how low the mizzen main's foot can be.

It sounds complicated but in use, there's very little to do with all that rigging.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks. I never really considered how much is going on back there.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I was wondering when you were going to pack it in, Tom. Yes, it got cold on the Maine Coast alright. You must be one of the last. At least you didn’t have to shovel snow off her.