There's wind, and I'm not sailing.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Don't you hate the feeling you get when you make a bad call to NOT go sailing sometimes? Sometimes it's because you thought there would be no wind or maybe because the weather report said chance of thunderstorms.

My boat is a good forty minutes from my house so, if I want to reverse my decision, I find that it's just too late.

Today is a nice day. A little hot still, but a with steady nice north-east wind of about ten knots, or so says the weather buoy which teleports its readings right to my phone. But the report that I read earlier predicted only about four knots. That and the fact that I have to be home for a engagement late this afternoon were the mind maker uppers. Now, I'm sitting home. The family is out shopping. The sun is shining outside my window and my phone says the weather buoy is enjoying a lovely ten knot breeze.

The damn weather buoy is enjoying the day right now. He is taunting me; reminding me every five minutes of the wonderfully pleasant warm summer breeze and calmly bobbing water I'm missing.

I'd check the weather cam that some yacht club set up near my boat. But I might get really depressed after start seeing sailboats tacking in the bay.

I think I'll see what my cats are up to. Maybe they'll understand why I'm down and console me by doing those figure eights around my ankles that cats do. But they're cats, so they'll just probably ignore me.

FML

Jan 6, 2010
FML,

Keep in mind that weather is dynamic & sometimes it does not agree with manmade predictions.
I've learned over time when planning a day's sail & maybe with folks, I no longer sail to a predetermined time.
If they give me a time to be back, I simply say, "NO, maybe another time, when there are NO time constraints."

If you or folks have to be back at a specific time, Do not go out sailing under these conditions. Weather & sailing are fluid & thus, will NEVER follow a clock. Why end up being disappointed?

CR

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Well said, CR.

Now, what does FML mean, weinie? F*** My Life? o_O

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
maybe because the weather report said chance of thunderstorms.
Happened to me on Thursday night. Our club was postponing its weekly races because of storms in the area. Then they made the decision to go but I stayed in because the radar was still iffy and I didn't want to get stuck in a squall. Turned out to be perfectly nice - all the rain held off until after the last boat was in, and there never was any lightning or gusts. On top of that, the racing fleet was smaller than normal, so I could've scored an easy 4 or 5, way better than our cruising rigged Oceanis usually does. I'm telling myself that I'll just have to beat my competition on nights when we're all actually out there, but it still would've been a nice sail.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hey it wasn't that great. Steady wind, 1 foot swell at 10 seconds, and cool breeze at about 12 kts. We almost forgot the hot and muggy weather on shore. Wife pulled out her fleece. Anchored on a quiet island. Nobody around. Storms went to the south. Ahhhhhhh. :poke:

All U Get

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
I'd rather be on the boat and have the wind die out or a squall pass through then at home wishing I was on the boat.
Rather be hot or wet than disappointed.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It sounds to me like you need a project at home. I have plenty of those. Come on over. I have enough to keep you busy for a long time. I'd even allow you to do them while I'm off sailing.

Ken