theft from boat

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I live along way from my 45ft sailboat... at present I have my boat at a dock behind a private residence in Florida... I pay me dock rent each month on time... I keep my boat plugged into shore power to keep the batteries fresh... the other day I ask my buddy to go down and get my boat and have it taken to the repair marina to have the motor and transmission serviced...

he went down to the boat, then immediately called me.... someone had stolen my shore power cord, and the 3 group 24 AGM batteries I had inside the boat.... the bilge was full of water too...

my marine insurance agent said it was less than my $500 to replace them... I contacted the owner of the property, and he doesn't have insurance on the dock or anything tied up to the dock... his property insurance doesn't cover anything tied to the dock...

this is going to throw off my up coming vacation... I now have extra added expenses before I even go down there... be warry of dock agreements with private home owners on responsibility of theft or vandalism to your boat...

at present I am looking for a good marina to put my boat... my buddy will move it there for me before I come down on vacation... it is a shame you cannot trust everyone to leave someone elses property alone...

sincerely
Jess

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jess,

Good luck finding any spot that will cover ANY potential loss to your property you might suffer while there.

Your boat, your insurance.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I am skeptical how you can replace 3 AGM batteries and a shore power cord for less than your deductible.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
hello all

I live along way from my 45ft sailboat... at present I have my boat at a dock behind a private residence in Florida...

sincerely
Jess

Where in Florida? I have mine at a private residence in Pompano Beach, and so far no problems.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I doubt any marina would cover that. Lots of 'hold harmless' clauses in most contracts. In fact the contracts usually have language that holds you responsible for a variety of stuff.

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
It is a shame, sorry to hear that.

I wonder how involved the property owner is with security on their property, it could be them next once the thieves realize the easy target.

If it were me, I would have made sure that my property and rental space were monitored and secured.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Agree

I agree having done both and a Marina will not cover your loss for anything stolen and I keep my sailboat at private dock and feel safer than at a marina but anything goes if some one targets your boat where ever it may be.
Ask the private dock owner or you to put a light or motion light at the dock to help from unwanted guest.
Either at a Marina or private if some dishonest person notices you are not around as much than they will plan to steal,put some kind of easy and simple
loud alarm on the companion opening.
Nick

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
I live in a canal community with direct access to open water. All the homes here have docks and some lease them out, but not many. Owners too have deductibles on theft and the cost of insurance in Florida is sky high so most have deductibles of $1000 or more.We have video cameras, dock and sensor lights. And other forms of security to prevent theft. It still occurs. So do all the marinas. So just because you are renting i do not know why you thought you would be insured. Was your boat securely padlocked and your batteries under lock and key? It is sad that this goes on but not all people are good people. I just replaced my agm's. 3 of them over $200 each at WM. on my .c34

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
.....my marine insurance agent said it was less than my $500 to replace them...
You might challenge him on that statement...... if he tells you where one can buy AGM batteries for $150.... please let us know. 3 batteries @ 150 and a cordset for $50 is a bargain......

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
The insur company might be prorating the batteries, especially if they are several years old.

Also, if they do pay they will raise your rate and you will loose out again. I look to insur for covering major loss

Apr 5, 2015
Islander 26 Little Creek Navy Base
Sorry about the theft pards.....sux! I have been experiencing a few minor thefts from my boat over the past month myself. The Navy base where I am tied up at allows people to fish off the old piers where I am tied up.

Minor things like 2 crab pots and empty drywall buckets.....but it still makes me pretty mad.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
Sorry for your loss.
Install a security system. A simple padlock will not suffice in todays climate.There are several ways to go about securing ones possessions, lights, sirens and cameras are some. I'd look into that route.
If you think theft is any less at a marina, you are kidding yourself.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter Vision 32 Pensacola
Your boat, Your insurance

Thieves have hit my boat both at public and private (gated) marinas and at private docks. As a dock owner, I've been told by insurance agents that no insurer in Florida insures docks. If anyone knows any differently, please advise!

Feb 21, 2011
Hunter 410 Lorain
Your ONLY recourse is a private security system (camera & alarm) and a BIG sign saying your boat is being "watched!" Good luck! Capt Bill on STARGAZER

Feb 22, 2012
S2 8.5 1983 Seattle
How does a guy manage to own a 45' boat, even a 30' boat, and have anything like this kill his cruising plans? Who hasn't had to shell out a few boat bucks just when you expected it least? I agree that being the target of theft is unsettling, but not being able to absorb a small expense now and again, could seriously compromise more than a fellows plans, but result in safety issues and further added expense when repairs are delayed over the costs. Bout owners can't afford be too squeamish about spending money. I'm just saying.......

Cwoody

Aug 10, 2010
Beneteau 37 Galesville, MD
Jess,
Was there any damage from where they broke into your boat?

My permanent slip used to be next to a transient slip at my marina. Came back from a extended sail only to find all of my dock lines and bumpers missing. Marina owner stepped up to cover replacement cost. Pretty sure any major claims ( like 3 group 24 AGM batteries and power cord) would be on me to take up with my insurance company.

Good luck, cw

Jun 9, 2014
hunter 27 Palm beach
I'm surprised to hear you have such small batteries on such a large boat. And It also appears that you opted for a bargain in choosing a dockage. $500 is a small amount of money to a boat owner, especially a 45 foot boat. personally, I wouldn't think about taking off on vacation on my boat without a couple thousand in the pocket.

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 400 Muskegon, Michigan
This is one of those situations where you will just have to take "your lumps." I wired an incredibly simple alarm that will cause a 100 decibel siren to go off if someone opens the companionway slider. It's just a spring loaded contact with a separator that's connected to a string attached to the slider. It is wired directly to one of the batteries. If someone opens the slider it will pull the separator out and the siren will fo off. It would not be hard to override it if they knew what to do, however the siren is so loud that they're not likely to stick around to figure it out. If you wanted to get more sophisticated you could wire it so that you need a key to shut it off once it is activated, similar to an automobile alarm system.

Gary

Jun 16, 2015
Catalina 22 Tahoe
So sorry to hear about the theft. I too have my sailboat behind a private residence. I would not hold the homeowner responsible for any theft or damage.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This has been said here before (probably at least once by me), if your going to own a big boat, you pretty much have to have a several thousand dollars/year kitty allocated for unanticipated 'expenses' and be prepared to spend it at a moments notice. Like today! If you don't wrap your head around this and accept it, your boating experience is pretty much going to suck. Because its ALWAYS something.

On the prevention side, I once had a sailboat BURNED on a mooring by punks. Next time around I installed a simple IR alarm with a VERY loud 115db buzzer attached. Not perfect, but a bit of deterrent for 45 bucks. You don't need to catch them. Just make them want to leave before they can do anything.