The worst call you will ever get....

Jun 6, 2018
Catalina 22 Lake Bde Maka Ska
So last Saturday My son and I took Buttercup(C22) out for a wonderful day of sailing on a local lake here in MN. Wednesday morning I got a call from the DNR informing me that my boat sank. While on the shore there was a young woman showing her friends a post from Instagram of a young man standing on the sunken boat. I asked to see the pic and I took a pic of her phone (see below). After a days trying to raise her ourselves with min success, we ended up calling in the pros(lucky I have friends that dive and work in the recovery business) to lift her and bring her in. Now comes My question. There are no viable holes or cracks. So I have narrowed to two things. One someone vandalize her, because the three hatch panels are gone and the top one was latch after we finished sailing her. Two something happened with the center board cable tube. This is an old boat 1974 and is new to us. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas where I should look for clues?

FullSizeRender-1.jpeg IMG_6851.jpeg IMG_6859.jpeg IMG_6919.jpeg IMG_6930-4.jpeg

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Wow... good luck finding the cause. Wonder since it already sank, drain it and put it back in the water and see if you can tell what the cause is. I know, sounds weird, but unless there is an obvious reason, that might be the only way to find out.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
If no obvious holes, then probably keel cable volcano or cockpit/sink drain.
Thoes are the usual culprits. Though it is odd your hatch boards are missing. Did you contact the Police and or your insurance. Odds are the electrical will give you issues in the future as things dry out.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Does the boat have a bilge pump? Or, without shore power to keep the battery charged, would a boat that size
even be likely to have a bilge pump? Even if it did, would it be big enough to do much good if the boat were taking on water?
Just wondering....

--Peggie

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The worst call I ever got was from an EMT, in a middle of the night, while traveling on business.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Does the boat have a bilge pump? Or, without shore power to keep the battery charged, would a boat that size
even be likely to have a bilge pump? Even if it did, would it be big enough to do much good if the boat were taking on water?
Just wondering....

--Peggie
There is no low spot or formal "bilge" if you will. Some have installed pumps in the past however it is normal to not have one. Most common sinking come from the volcano tube where the keel cable comes through the hull or a knockdown with an open cockpit lazerett hatch.

Jun 6, 2018
Catalina 22 Lake Bde Maka Ska
Cleaning her today and am going to check the cable housing and will float her again on Monday.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
As thinwater implies, there are far worse calls you can get, and some of us have received them. Count your blessings. :)
Yes, there are and my first reaction was similar to thinwater's comment. But as far as our boats are concerned this is the worst one to get.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
yikes! betting the volcano let go, any other thru hulls on the boat? or maybe the forward scupper valve behind the volcano. we usually have one boat (no c22's) sink/year at our club while in it's slip, almost always a failed thru hull....any wild weather involved?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I had a boat vandalized (burned) on Lake Harriet. It’s more common than the MPRB likes to think or admit. But I’m not sure how you would intentionally sink a C22 on a mooring. Normally no thruhulls. Check the volcano.

Nov 8, 2010
I'm guessing Minnesota Parks and Recreation Bureau
Yea close, Minneapolis Parks and Rec Board. It’s wildly rated as the #1 urban park system in the county. They manage all the city lakes and the moorings. It’s so big it has its own police force. People are supposed to be out of the parks at 10pm (and that means the lakes as well) but on the water it’s often ignored by night sailing or fisherman. Or sometimes by vandals or thieves. Leave your motor unlocked and it will be gone within a week.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
No reason why the all three hatches would be gone, looks like someone stole them and tried to hide the evidence. look around in your area for similar model boats. Check previous pictures for distinctive marks on your hatches and call police if you are able to identify them on another boat.

Nov 8, 2010
No reason why the all three hatches would be gone, looks like someone stole them and tried to hide the evidence. look around in your area for similar model boats. Check previous pictures for distinctive marks on your hatches and call police if you are able to identify them on another boat.
I'm guessing he meant hatch boards. Probably would have floated away. Real question is how she sunk on a mooring. Its a busy lake and a busy mooring field.