The Women and Their Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Excellent chance the radar will be fixed by the end of the day. The boat just needs a coat of bottom paint and the prop and zincs put on before she can go in the water.

It's the women or, more accurately, their boats that are going to determine when I leave. Here's one of them being rigged in our driveway.

Still no word from the builder of Barbara's boat about how much damage there was and what the new schedule is.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Ahhhh Such as it is, I choose to joyfully include both women and boats in my life !! Sometimes there are..uuhhhh compromises.. but they too can bring joy!..
The boat (beauty that she is) reminds me of Webb Chiles's boat that he almost sailed around the world in.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
She is a beauty. But I hope you don't get a breeze. I don't see an anchor nor blocks under the wheels. It might not fare well out in the traffic. :)

Nov 22, 2008
The builder of Barbara's boat has given us a date he says he knows he can keep of July 26.:eek:

Original date: May 21 :doh:

:cussing:

Nov 22, 2008
Well, I'm going to do what sailors have always done when it comes to women. :)

It seems inconceivable not to be here for the launching and commissioning of my last two boats; especially for such special people. However, when I move it from the realm of impossible to a choice, it looks different. I may actually be able to see the Yawldory launched and sail her once before I go. Waiting for Barbara’s boat means giving up the plans I’ve worked nearly full time, seven days a week, for since last fall. It’s also fraught with potential frustration. I could wait until July 26 and all it would take would be one boatbuilder’s child’s ear infection or summer cold and it could be sometime in August.

Both of these wonderful women have said, “Go”. The boatbuilder will show Barbara how to row and get her settled in her boat. When I see her and the boat in the fall, she’ll be skilled and comfortable in it. That will be as nice a way to see it in the water for the first time as a launching.

If I get the prop back tomorrow as promised and the weather doesn’t hold up the bottom paint, the boat should go in July 5 and I should be off by July 10.

Nov 22, 2008
With the other delays, I guess I'm going to see one of the boats launched. Just a couple hours more work to rig the jib and install the mooring cleats and she'll be ready for sea trials on Wednesday when Susie returns with the car that has the trailer hitch.

Meanwhile, Strider is already to go and I'm working on all the non-marine loose ends and provisioning.

Aug 19, 2011
Irwin 23' Jacksonville
I am very impressed....I love to have the demension on the junk sail and how is was made...thanks
Gina

Status
Not open for further replies.