THE WALLS

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I glued upright strips of pvc 1/2 x 1 1/2 , laying flat on the inside of the hull wall. Then using a phneumatic stapler, I connected the boards to the uprights, however I made sure my staples where put in at an agle so they did not penetrate the hull.I put the staple in at the edge of the tongue in order for it to be hidden by the grove on the next board up. Does that make sense?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
so far nothing seen.
Yet...
I hate staples on a boat though I do understand how you approached the challenge. Much like a hardwood floor.
They have a chance to rust from the moisture that happens in boats. Hope you do not see any of it.
Keep us informed as to how they work out. I do love the scent of cedar.. It helps keep the moths away.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I glued upright strips of pvc 1/2 x 1 1/2 , laying flat on the inside of the hull wall. Then using a phneumatic stapler, I connected the boards to the uprights, however I made sure my staples where put in at an agle so they did not penetrate the hull.I put the staple in at the edge of the tongue in order for it to be hidden by the grove on the next board up. Does that make sense?
Yes, thanks. That makes sense.
I've been thinking of something like that for the V-berth. A little worried about the weight of the wood in the bow though.

I'd probably use monel staples to help avoid rust issues.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
So to all who have interest in this. There are some pros and cons the way I did mine. Let me first state the pros. Apart from the obvious aesthetics, which when you see the multiple colors in the cedar' it can make a wall look very nice, there is the smell, the repellent to moths, hopefully spiders and mud wasps too. I like the tongue and groove, the fact that with enough moisture it will bend to conform with the curves of the boat and that the right side has an overlap (when the tongue is on the top).
Now for the cons. The boards I found to be brittle. Meaning the tongues and the grooves snapped easily. Also, the finish of each board was not always nice. Some boards were badly damaged or where not smooth. I did not put enough uprights in so therefor I have areas that when pushed against it will possible snap the tongue or groove. I tried very hard to butt each piece over a upright, however my frugality made me do some not so desirable decisions and I have some spots weaker than they should be. Lastly, that 1/2 inch is quite a lot of desirable space doing nothing.
I think, down the road, I'm going to remove it, save what ever I can, buy some more of the same, using my experience, add some more uprights, perhaps fill the voided space somehow, and redo the entire wall, being more selective and maybe not so cheap ( or in a gentle description: Less frugal)!
I must say one thing. The description on line said random lengths. All boards were 48" long. There are 12 boards to a box. At Home depot the box was $27, I think. My two walls used two boxes, yes I had some waste due to bad, cracked or just plain unusable boards. Hope this helps anyone considering something similar.