The transformation is almost complete!

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
After sailing for most of our lives, we have talken the plunge and traded our Sabre 386 in on a new boat...a boat without a mast!
Of course my wife is still a little weepy about the previous boat but she does this any time a boat or automobile leaves our lives. She will be fine...
The boat rolled out of the shed and saw its first sunlight ever yesterday and things are moving faster and faster now. We should be aboard by this weekend learning our way about the new systems. We'll probably be on the dock for a day or two while electronics are finished and then it is off for a month of PNW shakedown.
I know this is a sailing site but as we were once sailors, I still check in here ocasionally.
We will at least be respectful of the sailboats we encounter as stinkpotters.
See everyone out there!
Bruce
MV Esmeralde
IMG_0300.JPG

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
A little video of the boat the day before it came out of the shed...
Bruce

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
Beautiful. The time will come for us all. I love being on the water and could be real comfortable on that boat. Enjoy it.

Feb 11, 2017
Rosborough 246 Upper Chesapeake
There are a few of us here.... Congrats on the new boat. A monthlong shakedown in the PNW sounds divine.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Great boat! Enjoy. Yanmar or Cummins? As I recall, these have a modified trawler hull with a flat run aft? Love the pilot house.

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
The engine is a Cummins QSB 6.7 liter.
Yes, it has a fairly flat run aft so it can get up and move if we choose.
I just watched it start for the very first time, very exciting!
Bruce

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Curious as to the displacement - looks like a lot less under the water than my old Bristol 38. Should move nicely!
The Bristol had twin Perkins 6-354s, and her idea of get-up-and-go was 12 knots (9 cruise).

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
Curious as to the displacement - looks like a lot less under the water than my old Bristol 38. Should move nicely!
The Bristol had twin Perkins 6-354s, and her idea of get-up-and-go was 12 knots (9 cruise).
25,000 pounds is what they claim.
Our boats always seem heavier somehow.
She'll cruise nicely and pretty efficiently between 6 and 10 knots. Top speed is just over 20 if you want to pay for the fuel.
Bruce

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
She's a beaut, Bruce. I look forward to your posts in your new adventure.

John P

Feb 11, 2017
Nice,enjoy. Didn't realize you had retired and closed the shop in Newport, I was going to stop and talk about classic Vespas.

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
Nice,enjoy. Didn't realize you had retired and closed the shop in Newport, I was going to stop and talk about classic Vespas.
We are indeed retired and I'm not sorry about that decision at all!
Stop by the boat sometime and I'd love to talk scooters or you might check out Aquidneck Island Scooter Repair in Newport. Tony worked for us before going out on his own and bas a fun collection of interesting scooters around the shop at any time.
Tell him I said hello...
Bruce

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Nice video. The wave at the end was a nice touch. Was someone following with a drone? When the soundtrack began I thought it was the Byrds, not Tom Petty.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Nice, I enjoyed the trip through LaConner. Where do you plan to call home port? Do you have a name for her yet?

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
Home port will be Jamestown RI.
We name all of our boats Esmeralde.
We just watched a pod of Orcas, this is such a stunningly beautiful part of the world but we are looking forward to having our boat back home too.
Bruce

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Home port will be Jamestown RI.
We name all of our boats Esmeralde.
We just watched a pod of Orcas, this is such a stunningly beautiful part of the world but we are looking forward to having our boat back home too.
Bruce
Wow, a long way from home. I suspect it will work on the other coast as well. It's quite a haul to get it there.

Ken