The Times they are a Changing...

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
We are lucky... We managed to launch and step on time without a COVID derailment. So far, there has not been any infringement on our ability to sail our boat. Tomorrow we ( as a country) would normally celebrate the Independence that our forefathers fought for. Now all events ( in most areas) have been cancelled.
Our long standing tradition of a family day of sailing followed by anchoring for a stern rail BBQ to await the fireworks that would quite literally be going overhead is now broken... Lots of memories...Our son chose this setting to propose to his bride while both families watched...A neighboring boat with ( a just happened to be there professional photographer) captured the moment, yelled over to confirm what had just happened and asked for my email address to send the pics to....Our son, now a police officer has been sailing since he was 2 weeks old. His youngest will need to wait for next year before starting his tradition.. These are the type of events that we all will put on hold for a year. And while we will still be on the water tomorrow, it will be a bit different.

Hoping that you all find ways to enjoy the Holiday despite of the changes forced upon us.

HAPPY Independence Day
Qe9atpVsqUWFP2YbU5gr8SFPrTugm7Buk7KLpHSEYD8,YA6n-uocXDQTooPjaHpcHhht9ywMx2uzaG3I1lHe8g0.jpeg

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
that is the greatest sailboat photo i've ever seen. very cool
Nice picture.

But it also highlights how different people are. To me, a proposal is a deeply private affair. I would not have anyone within sight or earshot. Yet others revel in sharing the ocation.

I have avoided 4th of July fireworks since my children finished grade school. In fact, I didn't watch them, other than out of the corner of my eye, between intermediate school and when I had children. Didn't interest me. I don't feel as though changes have been forced upon me by COVID, any more than weather forces me to reef. They are just my addaptations to nature.

I'm not sayin' that's right or better. I'm just sayin' people are different.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
That is a great picture!

Here in Maryland on the Chesapeake, even if municipal fireworks are cancelled, I'm pretty sure all the private shows are still going on. There's one on Middle River (S. of Baltimore) put on by the Marine Trades Association that we plan to go anchor out and watch tomorrow. Isn't the same going on in most waterfront communities?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Wonderful picture, story, and traditions Sailme.

Our nearby minor league baseball stadium will have “drive in” fireworks. Pull into their parking lot and watch from your car. We’ll probably do that as we like the tradition, but I don’t think it will be the same as being anchored out watching fireworks displays from municipalities all around across the bay, or sitting on a grassy high school field.