The stock Hunter Jib on the 380

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gerry Libertelli

Hello Hunter Owners! Pleased to say that I took my h380 (S.V. Persistence) out for her first dance this season. Extremely cold here in NJ still, but the Raritan Bay was kind, and we had quite a great time. Im curious about replacing the stock jib that comes with the 380 for a larger one (I've already rigged the boat for an Asym). The current jib is very small, and Im finding that I am always looking for more sail area in light winds. My yard, and Hunter say no. Do not go larger, because the boat is primarily rigged to be Main driven (Hunter). Do not go larger because rigging track for a large Genoa is almost impossible given the h380 deck layout (my Yard). Do any of you use larger gear up front (besides Spinakers)? Gerry

L

Les Blackwell

My opinion for what its worth

I have a 1999 H380 with stock sails--probably the same jib that you have, made in Hong Kong. I also had a H35.5 before this boat. With stock sails on the H35.5 and a spinnaker, we won boat of the year racing against such boats as J35s and J36, San Juan 34s, Erickson 36 and the like. Then I added a roller furling 150 from UK. Strangly enough, we were never as fast with the 150 as with the orginal 110 jib. Just before I sold the H35.5 I got to talk to Steve Pettingill (not sure I spelled that correctly) and he said this was the new style of sails. His Hunter's Child and now many of the open sixes use bigger mains and smaller jibs. I have the roller furling main so it is not as large as a regular main, however, it is taller then they say in the brochures. The main is the main sail for your boat. If you get a bigger jib, instead of directing the wind to the main, it will blanket the main and, I believe, you'll go slower. I think the only way to go faster is to buy lighter or plastic sails. Using the full main with full battens will increase your speed as well. However, I agree with your yard and Hunter that putting on a bigger jib would be difficult--I don't know how to get past your mast support--and you wouldn't point as well. Pettingill said to several of us that the newer Hunters are basically three sail boats, meaning a main, a jib and an asymetrical cruising chute. I will start racing this week and I'll let you know if my opinion is anywhere near correct. I hate to lose.

M

M. Watton

go stock

I asked the same question on a 336 I bought new in 95 and then on my 376. We have some sharp sail lofts here and I was told that on a B&R rig the main is the power. Larger jib than 110 will disrupt the airflow on the main and actually degrade the performance. When I see the Catalina boats sailing with their crews dragging a large jib across the deck on a tack, I am reminded that this ol B&R rig is really the trick. Particularly when you are sailing singlehanded. (That is, you are driving and your crew is already at cocktail hour!)

C

Colonel John W. Day

Put Your Money Into a Crusing Spinnaker!

I saw an article in the HOW about adding a cruising spinnaker and went for it. Bought the sail directly through Doyle and saved quite a bit from the HOW price (sorry, HOW). Awesome reaching and running sail. I'll also put her up while pointing in light winds because she's so damn pretty. Not sure she does much good in that venue though. I see hull speed all the time even in light to moderate winds with the UK Sails 110 jib and UK Sails main designed for the Selden in-mast furlng. The only way I think you would ever need a larger genoa would be for races in light winds on the downwind leg and with spinnakers prohibited by rule. Keep the sails you've got and put your money into a custom-colored cruising spinnaker. The first time she pops out of the sock you'll thank me. D-Day Hunter 380, Fox III

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
third option

A buddy of mine had a carbon-reinforced tape-drive 110 jib with verticle battons built for his 180 by UK. He points much higher than with the OEM sail, which was made in Hong Kong of inferior Dacron. The point is not to go with a bigger sail, which will deteriorate your pointing ability and unbalance your rig, but to go with a better sail.

Status
Not open for further replies.