The Sailor and the Secret Island

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There were five us; each with our secrets, each with our own reason for being there that night. There was me, the skipper; Lucas, the friendly young fellow with a duffel bag that he guarded a little too closely; Ava, the tall, blond Norwegian woman who had an easy smile and the demeanor of a CEO. Her traveling companion was a young man named Axle, a fair haired fellow with an eye for photography and for Ava. Then there was Christine, a tall, athletic brunette who was more comfortable in a Dragon boat than a sailboat but up for whatever.
The weather that night was perfect. The fog rolled in through the gate as the sun set behind Tiburon. We sailed hard and we drank harder. We parted ways as fellow sailors and citizens of the world.
[Oops, edit: short a character and change to first person. This is awkward. Sorry Mark]
Securing the last of the lines, we five strangers who came together that afternoon to sail, to race, re-entered the bar where we first met, newly forged friends. Lucas, taking a stool, tucked that ever-present duffle under his feet and called for a round of drinks.
"Red?! Give my crew and my new friends a round on me. They earned it."
Christine thanks her captain, but declined.
"The way you danced around on that foredeck? You're a natural born sailor. Sailors drink. That's just a fact. Besides, you don't want to insult your captain, do you?"
"Oh, no sir, of course not. It's just that I haven't really drunk much since college."
"Then just the one, no?" Axle prodded and swung his camera around for easy access. "How about a group picture, OK? We all drink together."
Everyone agreed and moved together while Axle swung his head out of the camera strap and showed the bartender, Red, whose hair was actually white, how to use it.
"Ready about?" Queried the Skipper, while raising his two ounces over his head.
We, Lucas' crew for the day, followed suit.
"HARDALEE!" Lucas shouted with gusto.
We all tossed our shots as one. Christine tossed the amber liquid with practiced ease.
I felt the comforting burn in the back of my throat and breathed a cleansing breath of air.
"Now, my friends, I must be off. I have an urgent delivery to make." and the Skipper grabbed his duffle tightly, knuckles tipped white, and made for the door.
Ava, intercepted him, her soft hand extended and thanked the good captain for a "good time". She winked and smiled playfully, letting him know she was just fooling around.
"I hope ve can join you for another time, to crew on your lovely boat. It vas a real pleasure." Her accent was hypnotic and I noticed Lucas couldn't help watching her words form between her full lips, as she spoke. Hell, I couldn't help it either.
The other two crew nodded their agreement.
Looking up at the rest of us, Lucas thanked us again, said he would be glad to have us as crew anytime, then pushed his way out onto the docks.
"That was abrupt." Christine said, stepping up between Ava and Axle as we three stared at the closing barroom door. "I wonder what he was in such a rush for. Do you think he could have another boat to deliver or was there a package in that little duffle bag of his?" I asked.
Axle agreed, "He sure kept that bag close during the entire race. What do you suppose is in it?"
"Hey guys, Lucas is heading for his boat. Is he going somewhere?" Ava had stepped over and peeked out the door to see which way Lucas had gone. She expected to see him head for the parking lot or maybe whatever boat he might be delivering. She did not expect him to head back to his boat.
"What do you think?" Axle asked.
"We should follow him." Christine chimed in.
By now, the fog had rolled in like the tourist at Old Orchard Beach, thick and dense. The Skipper's figure could just be seen turning at the finger dock that berthed his sloop.
What do you guys think? A novel in the making? @markwbird gave it a nice start. Does anyone have something to add? Where will this mysterious literary course lead?
Add your own twist. I'll follow along, I hope others join me.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Clearly there was a murder. The story starts with 5 people and only 4 arrive at the bar. Lucas took over as skipper and has the body parts of others, including presumably, Mark the original skipper, in his duffle.
I am thinking a serial killer sailor novel.

(Nevermind just noticed you updated it)

FWIW I think I met Christine in real life yesterday. She was a 50 out of 10. Took all my concentration not to lose brain function when talking to her.

Last edited: