The river runs through me

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
I slept on the boat this weekend with my two youngest boys . it took a little getting use to with the wave motion to fall asleep. nun the less I fell asleep I'm on the 1/4 berth my boys are on the berth across from me. Im in a deep sleep and feel something touch my elbow I jump up and its dark and I see something moving on the floor, looks like a creature the size of a dog. O crap I thought, Davy Joens has sent his goons for me! I m half asleep mind you a burst of adrenalin runs through me and wakes me up the rest of the way and I realize its just my sons leg with the blanket over it . He must have been stretching . I start laughing my A$$ off. Well morning comes work on the boat some more. Unfortunately the weekend has come to an end and I have to get back home to reality and the daily grind. Went to take a shower and it felt like I was still on the boat My body kept swaying eyes were bugging a little. It was an interesting experience. came out and asked the boys if they felt like they were still on the boat, like the river was flowing through them ? they both started laughing and said yes, my little one said he had to sit down in the shower cause he thought he was sick at first. Well its another Grand adventure on Philter

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Was a beautiful weekend for it! our first nice weekend of this fall !

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Ah, you are joining the old salts now. Wait till you do a multi day passage, it can last for some time. Funny, having to take Dramamine because you are going on LAND.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
You will feel it most in small spaces where you are not moving. The shower is a sure thing.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Sounds like a great trip. I've had the lingering motion feeling many times myself.

We went from Manasquan NJ to Block Island one day in a trawler, with seas off the aft quarter the whole way. I stopped in a store in Block, and while I was waiting to pay I would have not bet against someone if they told me the whole store was rolling exactly as the boat had been.

I've heard it called both "Ocean Motion" and "Stillness Illness".

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Happens alot. I remember, a few years ago after having spent several days out, feeling a bit disoriented when walking on the dock. Had to get back on the boat even though it was tied to the dock to feel "normal" again. Goes away after a day or so. Don't take a shower in the dark...you might just lose your balance. You can guess how I know. Oh, wait! Maybe alcohol was involved.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Both my wife and I get that. I like it as it reminds me of being on the boat. Not as much for her.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
:) . When we first started doing overnighters we'd come home and almost fall over in the shower the first night. now that we've spent the summer doing many more nights onboard, it doesn't seem to bother us the same way to return to solid ground however. apparently the body figures it out after a few times. Isn't the number of stars out there on the lake amazing! welcome aboard :)

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Last year we sailed from Norfolk to Nanny Cay in the BVIs - 12 days at sea. One of our crew, Roger, went into those great showers at Nanny Cay, with maybe 3" thick curved doors on the restrooms. When he came out of the shower, and was getting ready to leave the restroom, he nearly panicked - he was looking for some kind of tiedown or lashing to hold the door from slamming around. He was thinking, "I've got to secure this door before it destroys itself, but there is noting to tie it down or latch it to!". Then he remembered he was on land, and the door was going to be just fine. We all got a laugh out of it, having just spent all those days constantly securing everything on the boat.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I once spent almost 90 days at sea...on an aircraft carrier...when we hit port I swore that I finally understood those drunken sailor stories. I thought the whole world was swaying.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I once spent almost 90 days at sea...on an aircraft carrier...when we hit port I swore that I finally understood those drunken sailor stories. I thought the whole world was swaying.
That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. :biggrin:

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="agprice22, ...You will feel it most in small spaces where you are not moving. The shower is a sure thing. [/QUOTE]

When I take newbies out for a sail, I tell them to expect the swaying motion back at home. I tell them to not be concerned, it's probably like a drug "trip"... just close your eyes and enjoy it. (Full disclosure here: I've never been on a drug trip, so I'm just sayin'.:rolleyes:)