The rehabilitation of M.O.P.A.R.

Feb 16, 2017
This new thread will be the documentation of rehabilitating a Capri 22 from a complete POS to a racing machine. Not including sails but all other equipment parts, materials, subcontractors my budget is $6-8000

Here is are the basics
1. Boat, remove existing bottom, fair keel bottom and rudder.
2. Convert from short rig to tall rig. Install mast head spin halyard, move pole topping lift to new location just below jib halyard, install staysail halyard, 2:1 main halyard, add second set of spreaders.
3. Change primary winches from undersized to oversized
4. Complete new standing and running rigging packages
5. New lifting eye for launching
6. Add a sea hood over sliding hatch
7. Lift redesign lifeline stantion bases to 10 degree angle outboard.
8. Add bow sprit
9. Rebuild transom, all wood core in transom is BAD!
10. All new hardware all Harken.
11. Spinnaker retrieval system

I will be posting pictures if i dont some one will say it never happened.
To start off with i saw the boat for the first time this weekend. So far i have acquired some of the parts.
Oversized winches, and today i got the bottom piece to convert the rig to a tall rig see pics.

Attachments

Feb 16, 2017
Big set back over the weekend. So has anyone replaced their rudder yet? If so I would like to hear about.
My rudder is split from the waterline to just short of the top on the front and back sides.
Tell me about rudder craft?

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Caution: Never leave any rudder sitting in the sun in the back of your pickup. With half the rudder immersed while moored, water will dissipate any heat buildup. But while stored, heat may damage the rudder. A Fiberglass rudder may expand and split at the seams. A polyethylene rudder may warp. Always store your rudder out of the direct sun.

Hershey

PS: I have my problems too. My purchased last year 4 HP Tohatsu runs- dies, runs, dies.

Mar 11, 2014
odj22sailor said:
Big set back over the weekend. So has anyone replaced their rudder yet? If so I would like to hear about.
My rudder is split from the waterline to just short of the top on the front and back sides.
Tell me about rudder craft?
Best Purchase I made for the Capri... Given I have a wing Keel, the pop up allowed me to out a 48 inch rudder on it. The foil shape of their rudder is outstanding. The only down side is the whole thing has to be twice the weight of the factory rudder... Given you have a fin, you can put their fixed version on without an issue.

Mar 11, 2014
I say it comes down to three factors for me. a) Due to the increased length I can carry more sail in higher winds with out rounding up. b) The increase foil presented has improved my pointing ability in both light and heavy air by a few degrees c) Responsiveness; the boat was always responsive, but it seems the new rudder has even improved that...

Bottom line I put this on vs staring over and changing to a fin keel version or replacing the wing keel with a fin all together as I was tired of always having shorten sail or I would be rounding up as I generally sail solo... the rest was gravy

Sail well

Feb 16, 2017
The Chain plates you are referring to are those the backstay attachments?
If so we decided not to change them they are threaded into 1/2'' solid glass.

We are going to through bolt the top pentals and gudgeons. We can do that because we have glassed and filled the void, so it is solid all of the way through.
We will be using the Schaefer 81-48 and 81-50 hardware

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-18 Dallas TX
If I dug that deep into the stern, I'd probably come up with a "walk-through" extension for it.

Something like