The Plight of the Poor Man

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Walt,
How could I determine the file size before posting, and if it is too large, how could I reduce it?
Not Walt, but if the photo's are on your 'puter, right click on it and select "properties". There should be an "edit" function somewhere on that right click also.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
So the poll is: Post full size pics or thumbnails?
YES!
I just posted a iPhone picture "full size", but understanding the "Download time" and processing.
[See my Post "Xmas in March...Kinda" in Sails Call Lounge forum]
But...
I cropped it to minimum essential, changed the resolution down, converted it to faster format ".png"
You slower guys might just test that to see the difference in speed and size.

You may be able to do both sizes when needed.;)
Jim...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I generally prefer thumbnails, and use them myself when posting. On some photo-intensive posts, my screen jumps all over the place as each photo downloads.

Greg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
SBO was never a problem compared to a lot of web sites that download all sorts of ad's in the background.
That's why I selectively use an ad blocker. On sites like SBO i have it disabled.

On my android phone, with it's limited bandwidth, and monthly mobile data limited, I use a browser that allows disabling of automatic download of media. I can then click individual ads, posted photos/videos etc. as I require. The rest is simply text.
That had been around for decades. I have no idea why more people don't use that capability.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Which browser are you using?

Sumner

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
That's why I selectively use an ad blocker. On sites like SBO i have it disabled.

On my android phone, with it's limited bandwidth, and monthly mobile data limited, I use a browser that allows disabling of automatic download of media. I can then click individual ads, posted photos/videos etc. as I require. The rest is simply text.
That had been around for decades. I have no idea why more people don't use that capability.
My bandwidth on my phone is way better than either AT&T U-Verse, or Comcast/Xfinity at my house. Still no issues with full sized pics, but I have been using thumbnails in picture intensive posts (more than 2 pics) for those that have poor bandwidth at their anchorages or marinas.

This was indoors at my work just now. I have seen even better results outdoors.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Thumbnails, or learn to edit the mega-sized photos down to manageable size that will load quicker.
If posting multiple photos of humongous size, definitely thumbnails. Especially slow to load is the "Wednesday is photo day" threads.

Thanks for asking!

What would you consider "humongous size"? (Remember guys, we're talking about photos here. ;))

As much as I relish annoying YOU, I wouldn't want to annoy EVERYBODY ... :biggrin:

How would you rate this random example? It's 750 x 1000, 120 KB.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
When I post pictures/images they are usually part of a point I am making. So I post them full size so you don't have to click to see what I'm talking about.
This is pretty much how I think of it. I did change the settings on my phone camera to reduce resolution by one level just for SBO posting. However, many of the photos I post are taken from previous times or other sources. I have given it some consideration, but because of time limitations, I, admittedly, haven't done much to be more considerate.
My vote is for full sized pics, but they can be sized to a very reasonable size for anyone.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country