The Perfect Hat

Sep 24, 2017
Catalina 22 #14720 Cheboygan
In search of the perfect hat....for my wife. My wife has Albinism and therefore sunburns incredibly fast. She also hates sunscreen.....but does use it, just not on her face, mostly because she wears contacts and doesn't want it getting in her eyes.. She does like and use the newer SPF clothing. To keep the sun off of her face as much as possible she tries hats but has not found one she likes. The brims are to flimsy and block her view in the wind.
Looking for a sturdy brimmed hat that will cover face, ears and neck and stay on.

Anyone having suggestions, pictures of what they use and like would be greatly appreciated. Maybe she'll see something she like that will work for her.

Thanks

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Tilley air flo hat is my go to hat. Big brim and relatively cool. Expensive, but lasts many years. Bimini top is also a must have in this latitude;
however, with your wife's condition I would definitely install a bimini.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Baseball type hat with those side and rear drop downs. Like your own personal head bimini. :) Or Lawrence of Arabia stuff.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
A lot depends on if she is worried about "style". But that and sun protection don't always go together

Something like this maybe.

I do also like my Tilley hat as BigEasy suggested but the brim does become a little floppy. They are expensive but they have replaced three of mine over the past 15 or so years under their lifetime guarantee so It's like I have had four hats for the price of one (I wear it a lot).

A hooded t-shirt under a hat also provides a lot of extra protection .

I've had a lot of skin cancers removed . The problem with sailing and sun protection is no matter what you do there is reflection of burning rays that come up from the water that a hat won't stop. I don't like sunscreen either but there are many on the market. I assume she has tried many but if not I would suggest she keep trying and might eventually find one she can live with that doesn't run into her eyes. At least for her nose, cheeks and ears.

Good luck

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’ve been pleased with this. NON-adjustable baseball hat with neck and ear covering. I believe there are similar hats with an “optional” face covering.

3BAEB571-5E21-4814-B9DA-571ADE116E41.jpeg

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
+1 for Tilley, wreck it, lose it, wear it out, they replace it....great hats....

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Just ordered the "Artic Hat" as advertised on tv. It has a wide brim (UPF) and chin strap plus has a bladder type mesh you can pour water on and its suppose to keep one cooler also. As soon as I try it I'll post results. I'm in the same boat...lots of skin cancer cut off. Bimini next year!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
LL Bean has the hat that you are looking for. Broad brimmed 360 degrees with a neck flap that stows into the brim. Adjustable chin strap to prevent loss from the wind. It's about $45.00

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Admiral is just now on her second Tilley hat in 20 yr; the Airflow, LTM2 I think. Yes, lifetime guarantee if registered. Important feature. Because of where the strap grommets are positioned, right over the ear and very near the head, the chin strap can be wrapped behind the ears and then snugly tightened under the chin. Without this feature, it’s hard to keep a wide brim hat like that actually on your head in wind.:biggrin: So, it STAYS ON! :thumbup: Also, definitely install a Bimini; and use polarized sunglasses.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Admiral is just now on her second Tilley hat in 20 yr; the Airflow, LTM2 I think. Yes, lifetime guarantee if registered. Important feature. Because of where the strap grommets are positioned, right over the ear and very near the head, the chin strap can be wrapped behind the ears and then snugly tightened under the chin. Without this feature, it’s hard to keep a wide brim hat like that actually on your head in wind.:biggrin: So, it STAYS ON! :thumbup: Also, definitely install a Bimini; and use polarized sunglasses.

I'll add a fourth(?) vote for anything Tilley. We both wear them. I've worn a Tilley TH5 (100% hemp) as my work hat for many years, soaking it with water periodically throughout the day to stay cool. Wife has an LTM6. The brim on the TH5 hemp hat is a little floppier, it's a hat you can roll up and stuff in your duffle if desired.

Tilley does stand behind their lifetime warranty, I know from experience. No receipt needed. You just send them back the worn-out hat, and you get a new one, no questions asked. They will even return you your old worn-out hat as well (minus the tags) if you request it.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I have always perferred a cotton baseball cap because I find they do better in windy conditions. A baseball cap with a hanging back section that is removable would be nice.

I have considered adding one to our existing hats with velcro.

Does anyone know of of a cap with removable flap ?

As for cooling i just dunk it in water.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
In search of the perfect hat....for my wife. My wife has Albinism and therefore sunburns incredibly fast. She also hates sunscreen.....but does use it, just not on her face, mostly because she wears contacts and doesn't want it getting in her eyes.. She does like and use the newer SPF clothing. To keep the sun off of her face as much as possible she tries hats but has not found one she likes. The brims are to flimsy and block her view in the wind.
Looking for a sturdy brimmed hat that will cover face, ears and neck and stay on.

Anyone having suggestions, pictures of what they use and like would be greatly appreciated. Maybe she'll see something she like that will work for her.

Thanks
A Tilley hat is the best option. Guaranteed for life and against loss for the first few years. When I started buying Tilley hats they were guaranteed against loss for the entire life of the hat. Now, I replace my hat every 5-7 years when the threads around the headband, especially in the front of the hats start failing. My hat is always replaced without question. I couldn't speak more highly of a company and its product. All the best, Kevin.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Tilley air flo hat is my go to hat. Big brim and relatively cool. Expensive, but lasts many years. Bimini top is also a must have in this latitude;
however, with your wife's condition I would definitely install a bimini.
:plus: on the Tilly hat :plus: on the Bimini

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Seattle Sombrero by Outdoor Research is my fav when I want full on-- I like that it can be worn aussie style as the sides can be pinned up, the brim flexible but holds it's shape.

File_008.jpeg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Better than what?
Better than big hats. Occasionally i wore basball style cap with a cord when riding a motorcycle back before helmets were mandatory here. Also used them racing catamarans decades ago. Still use them now. Ones with "foreign legion" style flaps seem good but i want one with a removable flap. I hate floppy hats with big brims.

Edit: That said, i have no problems using good sunscreen when needed. Nor do i live in the tropics with 12 months of heat and sun. A big brim hat will cover more of the face, and may be cooler witbout the need for flaps, but i find them cumbersome.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The OP was asking about hats that will cover the face, ears, and neck—plus stay on.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The OP was asking about hats that will cover the face, ears, and neck—plus stay on.
And a baseball style cap with side flaps like those linked above will do that.

I wore one that had a cord without the side flaps at 60mph on a motorcycle. At 30mph in the city i rarely used the strap.

Last edited:

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
Most hats have 3-4 inch brims which aren't very good at shielding the lower face and neck. I use this Outdoor Research Sun Runner Cap.
1593453704734.png
My children can't stand how it looks but it works great.