The pendant line pipe under the galley sink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2005
Oday 25 Escondido, CA
The first sail in decent wind after the haulout yielded quite a bit of water under the sink. After the first quart was bailed out I doubted it was the drain leaking at the thru-hull. I kept me head in the cabinet long enough to see water come splashing out of the PVC tube that guides the pendant line to the cockpit. It was consistently splashing thru the pipe while heading into the wind! I want to believe it was a good thing I cleaned all of the mussels and sponges from inside the trunk but it opened a spot for some serious water intrusion. Anybody else have this happen with their 25' or similar swing keel setup?

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Pendant line pipe

Bus, When you cleaned out the centerboard slot, did you notice whether your pendant line was going through the small sheave up in the smaller slot? Someone on the forum had mentioned using a string with a small lead weight for fishing the pendant line up to the cabin, and at the time I was never aware of this small sheave as this centerboard stuff was all new to me at the time. I'm thinking that if you're pendant line is part cable and it's not going through that sheave, it could eat into the pipe. Maybe the pipe is split or got dislodged somehow. I'm sure that you'll be able to fix it when you do some poking around that area. There has to be a way of getting at that sheave from up top though, because there's no way to get at it from the slot underneath. Good luck! Joe

T

Timm R 25 Oday

Same here

I also had my 25 Oday up on supports to free the center board.After I had the board free and removed .I looked up inside for the sheave.Everything looked good.I reinstalled te center board and launch this past sunday. After an hour or so on the water I noticed some water splashing around under the cockpit. It was right where the water tank sits. Hmm ,I said to myself. There was more water under the galley sink.The t fitting was cracked . I lifted the floor boards and saw the water was almost to the cabin sole. I turned on the bilge pump. It took about ten minutes or so to empty. This water I had brought with me to the lake. I watched to level inthe bilge for several more hours. Absolutely no change.I don't know where the water came from .Kind of spooky.

K

Keith

Pendant line

Now you all have me worried. My 25 is a 76 model that had the wire to rope pendant. I replaced it with a new one from D&R but the shackle wouldn't work. So what I did was got the next smallest diameter wire and ran the pendant though a small loop in the wire and crimped it inside the inch diameter hole in the centerboard. It works but it still seems like it is getting slightly hung on the splice of the pendant. I really hope I didn't crack any PVC tubing. I am not sure mine is even PVC I am thinking it may be some kind of metal pipe? I plan to splash her in a few weeks I guess I will know for sure then.

Sep 12, 2005
Oday 25 Escondido, CA
The sheave

that my pendant line runs thru (I have a '76 also) is bolted right next to the circut board above the cooler box. Just below the counter-top is where the pipe begins and extends down thru the cabin sole under the step. I think the problem is that the pipe is at the perfect angle to allow water to channel up and out. The outlet of the pipe is really only about 18" (if that) above the waterline and therefore any wave height greater than 18" will result in intrusion! I am thinking about a rubber stopper with a hole the size of the line to be inserted into the end of the pipe.

K

Keith

same as mine

That looks just like mine except I have the stylish orange counter tops and tweed upholstery. I bet your jealous of that. Ha... I am ordering a new backstay today and a fill hose for the new inboard gas tank. I still have to install the depth sounder. The carburetor still needs to be cleaned and spark plug changed. I need to figure out the mast wiring. I got the anchor light working but not the deck light. This will be my first time having the boat in the water so I am really getting anxious. The previous owner was not much on maintenance. I took on a little more than I was wanting too with this boat but I was looking for an Oday 25 and this one was only an hour away with an inboard and the price was right. Since I have had it I went to war and killed 45 wasps and took the boat back over. I have installed two bilge pumps with switch and control panel. I got two new batteries. I replaced the centerboard pendant. I got both main and jib halyards and jib sheets. I replaced the old fuel tank. I replaced the head with a porta potti. I replaced the teak hatch retainer boards. I replaced the galley and head hand pumps and new water lines. Painted the bottom and refinished the teak. By the time I get new sails and covers I could have bought a new boat but what fun would that be. I just hope she doesn't sink when I splash her.

Sep 12, 2005
Oday 25 Escondido, CA
Great minds

think alike Keith! I too have been completely refitting my 25. Had the same low maintence PO to boot! I just finished my wiring project, well, almost :) but the tough stuff is done. I ran new 5-plex down the mast, new masthead, new anchor/foredeck light combo, wired existing bow/stern wires to bus bar and ran to switch board. Finished install of depth sounder while on the hook last weekend, required some soldering. I think I might stick with a single battery though. I never pull much power anyway. Any Q's and I'll be happy share my experiences, might help you save some skin on your knuckles ;) Pay no mind to the interior in the pic, Its three years old and the Admiral has since re-upholstered everything. She made me a great deal, I do mechanical and she does the aesthetics!

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 27 Cave Run Lake, Morehead,KY
Keith Where Do You Sail In Kentucky?

I keep my O'Day 25 at Cave Run Lake in Morehead. What type of inboard engine does your boat have? Thanks.

K

Keith

re:

Steve... I am keeping the boat slipped in Barkley Lake but will be heading for the deeper waters of Kentucky lake to sail. We have talk by email before. We have a mutual friend. Remember? I would prefer to keep her slipped in Kentucky lake but I have a place less than a mile from the marina on Barkley. The inboard is the original Vire 7 that it came with from the factory. Its a two stroke 7 horse. It has a martec folding prop. Bus.. I think I am going to have to rewire my mast also. I also have a mast / deck light combo and an all around white anchor light on top. I am getting power to the deck light but not the anchor light. I am hoping that its just the ground wire from the deck light up to the anchor light which would be fairly easy to fix. What gage wire did you use? Did you use a in hull transducer for the depth sounder? If so where did you mount it? I can't decide if it would be better in the bow in front of the water tank. or close to the original through hull transducer back close to the engine? It would have probably been better to just replace the old Moor sounder that it had but they wanted like 300 bucks for a new one. Do you think I would be ok by going ahead and mounting the transducer before I put it in the water? I think our boats are all fiberglass with out a wood core so I don't see how it would hurt as long as I got all of the air bubbles out of the epoxy? I guess it would still be risky. I just would like to have everything done before I drop her in the water.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Timm R, I would climb inside under the cockpit and have

someone dump a bucket of water down thew cockpit drain. I bet your water came in while launching ( the thru-hull in the stern is underwater while launching)and the next few rains. What I am saying is I think you may have a leak in your cockpit drain to the thru-hull in the stern. If it is full of water and freezes in the winter, it may have cracked a fitting. r.w.landau

K

Keith

Steve not yet

I still have the dimensions you sent me when I get around to building the door. I did cut out a new oak board to cover the bilge area. It looks 150% better than the original. It took a lot of sanding to get a good fit but well worth it. I need to get some pictures up soon. Thanks for the info on the rocket pumps also. I found them at an RV store and got them for half of what the whale pumps are selling for. The next time you over on this side of the state I'll buy you a beer! From your work head towards the down town area about 2 miles you will cross a railroad track on US60. Right before the railroad tracks on the right you will see my boat. well at least for a few more weeks. KG knows how to find me. The racks look great!

T

Timm R 25 Oday

Cockpit drain?

R.W. ,I was already thinking along those lines. Does anyone know what size hose connects the cockpit drain to the transom?

Status
Not open for further replies.