The new style forum for CSBB. My apologies to Phil who maintains...us.

Aug 30, 2009
Oday 19 Trailerable
I find I hardly bother to post on this "new" forum anymore, nor read it either, because this new forum style........which the "old" cruising magazine bulletin board went to when it changed hands so many years ago.......is tedious to me. Folks add to existing "new posts" but very few add a simple post that was so easy on the just abandoned old CSBB posting board with it's readily readable, viewable strings.

Granted that photos are looking better on this style of board but the old blue lines of posts that showed everything simply and easily seen.....well, I severely miss the style which still is used on the Trailer Sailor Bulletin Board and I look there daily, and easily, whereas this new style is not IMHO user friendly. Your mileage may vary..

Aug 30, 2007
- - Anacortes, Wa
I strongly agree. The new forum has many good improvements, particularly picture posting, but they don't begin to make up for the old format.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well, the good news is that you are getting exactly what you paid for.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Unfortunately for some, this is what is call "progress". We become complacent with the way things used to be. Heck, I remember when they took the tubes away and replace them with them new devices called transistors. But, I learned to work around it and eventually lived with then silly silicone devices.

I think that once you really start to use the forums you will begin to find it easier. I do believe that Bulletin Boards are going away and may one day be only found in computer museums.

Keep working with the forums and hopefully they will start to grow on ya!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Somewhere there is a forge users forum where they lament that "people just don't make their own tools anymore". ;)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I find I hardly bother to post on this "new" forum anymore, nor read it either, because this new forum style........which the "old" cruising magazine bulletin board went to when it changed hands so many years ago.......is tedious to me. Folks add to existing "new posts" but very few add a simple post that was so easy on the just abandoned old CSBB posting board with it's readily readable, viewable strings.

Granted that photos are looking better on this style of board but the old blue lines of posts that showed everything simply and easily seen.....well, I severely miss the style which still is used on the Trailer Sailor Bulletin Board and I look there daily, and easily, whereas this new style is not IMHO user friendly. Your mileage may vary..
Don't give up, Westy! Keep trying it. It takes some experience before you can take advantage of this format. Stick around, you may feel differently after using it for a while.

Feb 3, 2012
Corbin 39 Pilothouse Cutter Lyme, CT
Those individuals that adapt to change are successful in this technological world - no matter what you do. For those who don't, the train leaves them behind at the station.
Learn to adapt...? We all must do that to survive.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I totally agree.....

I don't understand why they took away DOS or for that matter why did they get rid of the black dial phones mounted on the wall....:cuss: now I can never find that da#m cell phone... did I leave it in my pants, coat or where the $%#%^.... I mean that phone on the wall was always there... right where you knew it would be .... :D although it was neat when we got a longer cord for the handset so I could sneak around the corner to talk to girlfriends ;) and this new fangled internet thing will never last.... just like CB radios and 10-4 big daddy... :D:D

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I totally agree.....

I don't understand why they took away DOS or for that matter why did they get rid of the black dial phones mounted on the wall....:cuss: now I can never find that da#m cell phone... did I leave it in my pants, coat or where the $%#%^.... I mean that phone on the wall was always there... right where you knew it would be .... :D although it was neat when we got a longer cord for the handset so I could sneak around the corner to talk to girlfriends ;) and this new fangled internet thing will never last.... just like CB radios and 10-4 big daddy... :D:D
They didn't take DOS away, they just dropped a GUI on it.:banghead::biggrin:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
This old dawg (or should I say frawg) finds it hard to learn new tricks at times. I hope you will stick with us. This forum has changed from time to time. Never without growing pains. I like it and hope you will learn to like it, too. Hang in there.

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Technology keeps changing. We have the choice of keeping up (as best we can) or being left behind.
One of my first jobs involved changing a company over from one computer system to another. The old system had the programs on paper tape. The new system had STORED MEMORY, where the program could be read in from punch cards to an array of ferrite beads on a drum. Program loops could be done in memory - no more need to rewrite and reread tape. The printer was also a piece of work: the letters were on a chain, and as they got to the right point on the paper, a hammer would hit them. The sound was like a machine gun! A local computer museum at the Coast Guard Academy has an early 10 Meg hard drive: it's the size of a washing machine!
Yes, the new forum is different. Whether you're willing to adapt or not is your choice. Personally, I didn't like it at first but am getting used to it.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I totally agree.....

Yeah, and remember when you need to reach someone who's phone was busy, and you knew as soon as they hung up they were leaving to go meet you somewhere and you couldn't make it, so you had to keep redialing on a rotary phone over and over hoping to get through? .... and the number you were dialing had a lot of high numbers (8,9,0)? :)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
and... and... and... if you didn't want to be disturbed, you just left the phone off the hook. LOL

:hijack:

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Just read through this thread. Is Jackdaw the only one of us under 90? At least we're still sailing!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Just read through this thread. Is Jackdaw the only one of us under 90? At least we're still sailing!
;^)

I remember pre-internet DOS-based BBS systems where if you hosted it you had a pool of dual-up modems! Usually what, an 1-hour/day max login time for users? The days of terminal programs, X-modem support, and guys like Ward Christenson.

Then a BBS page on Compuserve? Yes!

Then a semi-custom web-based deal built off some framework like Nuke Dot Net. Hopefully you picked well and you always had an upgrade scenario as technology and platforms changed. If you were wrong you got dead-ended and all your content was frozen in time.

I've see it all too. ;^)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
lol- in 2010, I visited the Smithsonian in DC. I forget which museum it was, but they had an old IBM 705 tube run computer on display. I pointed it out to my wife and told her I used to program that machine. She said you mean one like that? and I said NO-THAT computer. Prudential donated the machine to the Smithsonian when they went to the big multiprograming 360's

Oh,, and I was working for IBM when the 360 was introduced :)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Charlie Jones said:
... and I said NO-THAT computer. Prudential donated the machine to the Smithsonian when they went to the big multiprograming 360's. Oh,, and I was working for IBM when the 360 was introduced :)
What's the song??? "Old Man River" ?