The Mysterious Balboa 24

Mar 12, 2016
Macgregor 26M Local Freshwater Lakes
A local gentleman has a Balboa 24 for sale (well, actually his wife is demanding he sell it as it has been used primarily for mounting Christmas lights for the past 3 years.) First I'm new to keel boat sailing although I have some experience with a little Hobie Cat Tandem Island Tri-hull. So this would be my first real boat (no offense to Hobie--its a fun, fast little boat to sail).
It seems the "24" is something of a rare item. This one has a fixed keel and is on a very nice boat trailer. Price with trailer is in the neighborhood of $4500. According to the owner it is an early 80's model. He has sailed the boat and while it is unkept it appears to be seaworthy and sound. I have an open-ocean sailor friend who is going to help me substantiate that last statement as true. Does anyone have any information on this boat. Sea kindliness, worthiness, number produced, problems to look for etc. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Boat and trailer should be in very good condition at that price and the boat should be complete with all rigging, sails, cushions and even a motor (Although you may want to start with a new motor.) Make sure the trailer can be registered. And the boat should be clean. If the owner didn't bother to clean it up, I'd give it the tincture of time treatment - or let him know that's the barrier to a deal. Do a search on Yachtworld for boats of that vintage and size to see what the market is. Or try this one: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...im=quick&ybw=&sm=3&Ntk=boatsEN&currencyid=100

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
upload_2016-3-13_12-43-3.png
Look at this 1981 model that sold in 2008 for $5,700. Eight years latter at post recession dollars I would place at $4,500 in this pristine condition. Blown sails knock $1000 off and no engine another $500. If the hull integrity is questionable walk away. A very good trailer is a plus but only if you intend on trailering the boat. I would give it a value of $500 either way.
upload_2016-3-13_12-51-44.png

Mar 12, 2016
Mar 12, 2016
Boat and trailer should be in very good condition at that price and the boat should be complete with all rigging, sails, cushions and even a motor (Although you may want to start with a new motor.) Make sure the trailer can be registered. And the boat should be clean. If the owner didn't bother to clean it up, I'd give it the tincture of time treatment - or let him know that's the barrier to a deal. Do a search on Yachtworld for boats of that vintage and size to see what the market is. Or try this one: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?man=&is=false&type=(Sail)&luom=126&fromLength=22&toLength=26&fromYear=1970&toYear=1995&pricderange=$0+-+$5,000&Ntt=&fromPrice=0&toPrice=5,000&searchtype=homepage&cit=true&slim=quick&ybw=&sm=3&Ntk=boatsEN&currencyid=100
Thanks,
The hull appears undamaged externally. I looked very carefully: no bubbles, no cracks. Keel fine is undamaged. Looks like this boat spent its life sitting around on a trailer to me. It needs repainted or at the least waxed. One of two outboards are mine to choose from: a well used Honda 750 which appears to be leaking some oil, and an almost new Suzuki of similar displacement, both long shafts of course. Sail condition is to date unknown; main and a working jib only. He freely admits that it badly needs cleaning and he won't let me aboard until its done. Thanks for the link. Jerry

Mar 12, 2016
View attachment 120550Look at this 1981 model that sold in 2008 for $5,700. Eight years latter at post recession dollars I would place at $4,500 in this pristine condition. Blown sails knock $1000 off and no engine another $500. If the hull integrity is questionable walk away. A very good trailer is a plus but only if you intend on trailering the boat. I would give it a value of $500 either way.View attachment 120554
Thanks Benny,
Nice looking boat. First look I've had at a cabin interior. Looks very accommodating but we won't know about this particular boat until our embarrassed captain gets things cleaned up and allows me on board. He has told me that after I've had a chance to "appraise" the boat to my satisfaction, if still interested, I'm welcome to take it home and take it out sailing for as long or as many times as I would like with or without him on board before purchase. Since I'm yet a novice I'll be crewing with someone who really knows what he is doing. The seller has been very low pressure, and really, since he is local, I think he would simply like to sell the boat (to make the wife happy), and then spend some time applying sweat equity helping me clean, polish and upgrade so he can simply go sailing with me now and again. It feels like I might be getting a friend and a boat. The trailer looks like a new trailer. Like new paint, rollers looks healthy but there is no tongue extension. With that fixed shoal keel I wonder how tough it will be to float the boat without floating the towing vehicle. Jerry

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Thanks Stu, Looks like there are only two copies in the world left for sale and they aren't cheap.
Jerry, I've seen the book new for a "regular" street price. Have you tried other sources like abebooks or even Google?

Mar 12, 2016
Jerry, I've seen the book new for a "regular" street price. Have you tried other sources like abebooks or even Google?
I found the book on Barnes and Noble for about $6.00 plus shipping so $10. Small book that is highly thought of from what I can read. thanks again. Jerry

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Jerry

Shemander gave you some very good advice. I've learned some of those lessons the hard way. I have purchased, restored and flipped seven sailboats so far and made some costly mistakes on boat #2 & #3. Boat #2 didn't come with an outboard and #3 didn't come with a trailer. Never again!

On 30+ year old boat, you are not buying the hull. The hull is the least expensive thing to bring up to snuff. Fiberglass is very easy to work with and paint is relatively cheap. What you are buying is the trailer, outboard and sails. In your mind, consider the boat's hull & standing rigging as free. To give you an idea... a decent used trailer will cost you $1000 and new one $2,500.... new sails $1500 and another $1500 for the outboard. So look for a trailer sailboat that is already on a decent trailer, check the axle housing and make sure it is not rusted through, look at the hubs for excessive wear etc. Make sure the O.B. runs and ask your sailing friend his opinion on the sails. Make sure the main is not blown out. At $4500, the boat should be clean inside, on a good trailer with a working O.B and serviceable sails. You can get all of that plus a few electronic toys on a Macgregor 26C for $4500. If any of the above are sub-standard, you should find several examples on sailboatlisting.com of complete packages in the same price range and use those to talk your seller down for those repairs you will need to make.

Mar 12, 2016
Jerry

Shemander gave you some very good advice. I've learned some of those lessons the hard way. I have purchased, restored and flipped seven sailboats so far and made some costly mistakes on boat #2 & #3. Boat #2 didn't come with an outboard and #3 didn't come with a trailer. Never again!

On 30+ year old boat, you are not buying the hull. The hull is the least expensive thing to bring up to snuff. Fiberglass is very easy to work with and paint is relatively cheap. What you are buying is the trailer, outboard and sails. In your mind, consider the boat's hull & standing rigging as free. To give you an idea... a decent used trailer will cost you $1000 and new one $2,500.... new sails $1500 and another $1500 for the outboard. So look for a trailer sailboat that is already on a decent trailer, check the axle housing and make sure it is not rusted through, look at the hubs for excessive wear etc. Make sure the O.B. runs and ask your sailing friend his opinion on the sails. Make sure the main is not blown out. At $4500, the boat should be clean inside, on a good trailer with a working O.B and serviceable sails. You can get all of that plus a few electronic toys on a Macgregor 26C for $4500. If any of the above are sub-standard, you should find several examples on sailboatlisting.com of complete packages in the same price range and use those to talk your seller down for those repairs you will need to make.
Now that is the kind of advice a new guy to the game needs to hear. It is where the rubber meets the road or maybe where the water slaps the hull (which turns out not to be the most important factor unless there is a big hole in it. :).