The marina wait list

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
We have a trailerable boat, and for now our home port is my driveway, but I’m thinking it might be nice to not have to trailer it every time we sail.

The marina where my wife thinks we should keep the boat has 58 people on the wait list, for a fairly small marina (Suttons Bay Michigan). I don’t know what the turn over rate is, but I’m guessing I’m too old to get on the list!

I’m thinking the right strategy would be find the marina that will take us now, and find one with a reasonable wait list for later.

What is your strategy? Any advice?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Not sure where you are located by Sutton Bay is kinda an out of the way place, but is close to Leland which I have spent a couple of days at and enjoyed a lot. The Grand Traverse area is pricey to begin with I am sure but again it all depends where you are, I am sure the wait list for Sutton's bay is based on the available spaces in the area.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The Capri 18 is a small enough boat that it could be dry sailed, i.e., kept at a marina with a self-service lift. If you are not familiar with dry sailing, marinas and Yacht Clubs that have regular races often dry sail the boats. The boats are kept on trailers fully rigged and ready to sail. When you want to go sailing, trailer it across the parking lot and hoist it with a self-service crane or davit arm and put it in the water.

Dry sailing is less convenient than sailing from a dock and way more convenient than trailering from home and rigging the boat each time. It is also less expensive than a wet slip.

If dry sailing is not an option, get your name on the wait list of the desired marina and find another wet slip nearby. Sometimes waitlists are a screening device not a real waitlist. When I moved my boat to a new marina a few years ago I was told by other marina tenants that there was a wait list. I got to know the management and suddenly there was a slip available.

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
when we got our boat we had intentions of getting on a wait list at a different marina.

however we have found that the one we are at works for us.

I agree get on a wait list where you want to be but get in the water somewhere first. you may wind up making friends and not want to move when the wait list calls your name.
....or you could be ecstatic and make the move, either way you will most likely sail more in the mean time... and how awful would that be?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If any of those rented slips are empty, you might be able to ask the owner if you can sublet it for a spell. We had to do that when we first joined until a slip became available to rent.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
As @DayDreamer41 notes, Sutton's Bay is not really close to anything, particularly Ann Arbor where your profile shows you are (4 hours, for those not familiar with MI). I'm fully in support of @dlochner - dry sail for a while until you get a slip. I did that with a 22 footer, and it's way more convenient than trailering and stepping the mast each time. Most harbors have a dry sail option available where you can trailer to the ramp without fear of trees and power lines, so you keep the mast up and just load your stuff and launch. If you're thinking of other locations, and consider Bay City, drop me an PM and we can chat about Bay City Yacht Club.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Parsons, would that be where the band "The Bay City Rollers" are/were from?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Just remember a waiting list is not just first come first served.... its all about the boat size and draft. What is 57 of the boats ahead of you are 40+ feet with 7 foot keels and the marina has a small spot open up..... you get the call. its how it works. Marina managers want every available spot filled. So put your name on the list.... while you're at it put your name on a dozen lists.... cant hurt.

Good Luck

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Lots of good advice - thanks everyone.

Had never considered dry sailing. I'll have to check into it.

@DayDreamer41 and @Parsons

Yup, almost exactly 4 hours, which honestly is not far for an awesome weekend. We have trailered it to Sutton's bay several times, right now we are in escanaba - looks like it's going to be a perfect week on the Bays de Noc.

@Ron20324
Every time I pass the exit I start singing "Sweet City Woman." That's actually true. I think it annoys my wife a bit, but after 30 years she kinda rolls with it.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Parsons, would that be where the band "The Bay City Rollers" are/were from?
Oddly enough, the town name is the inspiration for the band name. The Scottish band "The Rollers" was looking for an American-sounding name to boost their international popularity, so they threw a dart at a US map and it landed here. They'd never been in the States before. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_City_Rollers