The keel... is done

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
After much questioning and hand wringing over the past couple of months, it all came together. Thanks to all that fielded my questions! Below is what I did to salvage a rusted out keel, preserved for posterity. Hopefully you won't have to do this... but as these boats age, you'll probably eventually get there.

The procedure was to cut out the area of metal around the rotted-out keel pivot hole, hand-file it nice and tidy, then drill and tap it to install a replacement block. I kept things as close as possible on the galvanic scale without actually using iron bolts and blocks. The replacement block is 1.5" wide, fitting with a bit of room to spare in the keel trunk, while also being more snug than the original. This will help later as I try to eliminate THUNK THUNK noises.

I basically had to build a bunch of stuff to handle the keel. Dimensional lumber built a gantry, a cradle, and a keel-dolly. A $30 one-ton winch and cheap scissor jack from harbor freight provided the lifting power.

-Firstly, the replacement block was drilled out and had all edges rounded off. No sharp corners in the keel trunk.
-Once the keel was in the garage, it was hoisted up to the calculated height needed to fit under the drill press.
-The pre drilled block was clamped in place and an outline was traced.
-An angle grinder with cutoff wheel did the plunge cuts, and a reciprocating saw WITH BLADE SPECIFICALLY FOR IRON finished the cuts. Do not use blades for steel, you'll burn them up.
-Stock was left by the saws for me to hand file and fine-tune to fit the block snugly and squarely.
-It was easier to move the drill press to the keel, much much lighter. 4 pilot holes were drilled then hand tapped.
* Curveball! A bad inclusion was found under one hole, and I needed to load an endmill up to "spot face" down to good metal. Otherwise you'd risk the drill bit wandering and/or breaking.

A drill press is extremely important with this job. You could theoretically hand drill through the steel and into the iron at the same time to maintain concentricity, but I would probably break a lot of drills.

Hardware is grade 9 flange bolts, 3/8-16 with 1 full inch of thread interface with the iron. I tapped holes into the peice of iron that was cut out and performed thread yield testing, the grade 5 bolts snapped before the iron yielded. This honestly surprised me, but hey, that's why I have a full inch of tapped depth.
A single bolt can support twice the needed load, so I went with extra safety factor and spread the load over 4 bolts.

Finally assembly will come after a generous coating of POR-15, then the whole thing will get painted... bright "save-my-a$$" orange.

Attachments

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
Love the arrows on that bullseye! I was going to mark mine with inch-increments, but the arrows are simpler.

Interesting fix and nicely done. It looks like the area of the keel where the lock down bolt goes is totally rotted away.[/URL]
Indeed it is! that will get an almost identical fix, with 2 changes:
Replacement block will be solid delrin.
Locking pin Hole will be drilled after install, with keel lowered.

Why delrin:
first, I wanted to be sure that the keel got locked in the fully lowered position (neutral load), which mean match-drilling after install. I didn't want to drill steel in the boat, too hard and the filings would do damage in the keel trunk. Delrin is nice and slick, robust, and easy to drill, and won't expand in water. Since this does a lot of travel up and down in the locker, the slickness will help keel the fiberglass from being worn more and more.

I might thread the pin hole, and lock the keel down via a thumb screw or cam bolt. Theory is; tighten one side to draw the keel snug against the locker, and it won't knock around at anchor. Opposite side would just be snugged to stop seepage.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
FWIW, I have never locked my keel in the down position. I have done alot of sailing in all kinds of waters and have never had an issue. i like to raise and lower the keel while i am sailing to help balance the boat. The design of the keel, being thinner that the trunk, is that when heeled over the keel will "rest" on the lower side, taking some forces off the pivot bolt. If you build it up in one area, you will point load those forces. It may or may not be beneficial.

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
I really only plan on locking it in "destabilizing" conditions, or at anchor if the anti-clunk feature works.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
After much questioning and hand wringing over the past couple of months, it all came together. Thanks to all that fielded my questions! Below is what I did to salvage a rusted out keel, preserved for posterity. Hopefully you won't have to do this... but as these boats age, you'll probably eventually get there.

The procedure was to cut out the area of metal around the rotted-out keel pivot hole, hand-file it nice and tidy, then drill and tap it to install a replacement block. I kept things as close as possible on the galvanic scale without actually using iron bolts and blocks. The replacement block is 1.5" wide, fitting with a bit of room to spare in the keel trunk, while also being more snug than the original. This will help later as I try to eliminate THUNK THUNK noises.

I basically had to build a bunch of stuff to handle the keel. Dimensional lumber built a gantry, a cradle, and a keel-dolly. A $30 one-ton winch and cheap scissor jack from harbor freight provided the lifting power.

-Firstly, the replacement block was drilled out and had all edges rounded off. No sharp corners in the keel trunk.
-Once the keel was in the garage, it was hoisted up to the calculated height needed to fit under the drill press.
-The pre drilled block was clamped in place and an outline was traced.
-An angle grinder with cutoff wheel did the plunge cuts, and a reciprocating saw WITH BLADE SPECIFICALLY FOR IRON finished the cuts. Do not use blades for steel, you'll burn them up.
-Stock was left by the saws for me to hand file and fine-tune to fit the block snugly and squarely.
-It was easier to move the drill press to the keel, much much lighter. 4 pilot holes were drilled then hand tapped.
* Curveball! A bad inclusion was found under one hole, and I needed to load an endmill up to "spot face" down to good metal. Otherwise you'd risk the drill bit wandering and/or breaking.

A drill press is extremely important with this job. You could theoretically hand drill through the steel and into the iron at the same time to maintain concentricity, but I would probably break a lot of drills.

Hardware is grade 9 flange bolts, 3/8-16 with 1 full inch of thread interface with the iron. I tapped holes into the peice of iron that was cut out and performed thread yield testing, the grade 5 bolts snapped before the iron yielded. This honestly surprised me, but hey, that's why I have a full inch of tapped depth.
A single bolt can support twice the needed load, so I went with extra safety factor and spread the load over 4 bolts.

Finally assembly will come after a generous coating of POR-15, then the whole thing will get painted... bright "save-my-a$$" orange.
How'd you get such a clean cut in that thick metal with an angle grinder?

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
How'd you get such a clean cut in that thick metal with an angle grinder?
Short answer is, I didn't. Long answer is, I got close with the grinder, which I do have a lot of experience with... But, I didn't cut the hole to-size with the cutting wheel.
The tight fit came from a big hand file, which took the last 1/8 inch off.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Shirt answer is, I didn't. Long answer is, I got close with the grinder, which I do have a lot of experience with... But, I didn't cut the hole to-size with the cutting wheel.
The tight fit came from a big hand file, which took the last 1/8 inch off.
This is the picture I was referring to
1673721961691.png