The great loop

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I just started reading this book...

1570728411735.png

The book has a chapter on "what boat to buy" and it is a very practical chapter. Specifically, it goes into maximum draft, beam and air clearance. I was surprised to read that the maximum recommended air clearance is 19.5'. The reason given was an old railroad swing bridge in Chicago that no longer opens.

So if you are in a sailboat, do you have to unstep your mast before going through Chicago? I guess not a big deal on a Hunter 26 but if I were doing this trip, I'd want something larger than an H26.

Of all of the fantasy trips I have ever run by the admiral, the great loop is one she seemed most excited about. SOooo... I want to learn all I can about this trip.

Please pipe in if you have any knowledge of parts and pieces of this trip. The only legs I'm actually familiar with are the NC outer banks and the Chesapeake Bay.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
There is an association (greatloop.org) that has a ton of info, and I have the impression that, like this site, the info is directly from folks that have "been there, done that". I would start there. The crux air draft limitation is in the Chicago area, and IIRC is less than 20 feet. Many folks have done it in sailboats, and simply had the mast stepped somewhere up north.

I have a friend that has done it twice (in a lovely 52" stinkpotter). If you want to talk to him, send me a PM with your contact info, and I'll pass it on. I'm sure he would be happy to talk to you.

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for the info. I'll look at the site. I think it is too far in the future to bother your fiend just yet.

Best,

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Didn't know that, sorry. I think that periodically they may have gatherings that you could attend for free. I think the biggest one each year is relatively close to you (LA, maybe) and occurs at the time of year that most folks start from the bottom of the loop (Spring?)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
So if you are in a sailboat, do you have to unstep your mast before going through Chicago? I guess not a big deal on a Hunter 26 but if I were doing this trip, I'd want something larger than an H26.
Chicago may be the lowest fixed bridge height, but there are other sections that also require the mast to be unstepped. The whole Erie Canal for example also has low fixed bridges. I think there are other similar limitations along some of the inland rivers.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Did the Mississippi from the Illinois River (came from Chicago) to NO on an 80' motorsailor. Back then it was 17 feet, so check your number again. I was all excited and thought it would be a grand adventure. I'd see America's heartland from the deck of my boat. Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer, you know....
Hardly!
There are 30' levees all the way down, except St Louis, plenty of difficult traffic to deal with and hours and hours of inching along in masses of debris (plastic bags, trees, docks, dead animals, etc). Few places to tie up that weren't filthy commercial concrete walls or basins (not nice pristine yacht style marinas), where our lines and fender covers soaked up the fuel oil in the water like wicks.
I'd classify the "mighty Miss" as America's sewer line and give that trip a pass in a small boat. I hear the Ten Tom is the way to go.

Jan 19, 2010
Did the Mississippi from the Illinois River (came from Chicago) to NO on an 80' motorsailor. Back then it was 17 feet, so check your number again. I was all excited and thought it would be a grand adventure. I'd see America's heartland from the deck of my boat. Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer, you know....
Hardly!
There are 30' levees all the way down, except St Louis, plenty of difficult traffic to deal with and hours and hours of inching along in masses of debris (plastic bags, trees, docks, dead animals, etc). Few places to tie up that weren't filthy commercial concrete walls or basins (not nice pristine yacht style marinas), where our lines and fender covers soaked up the fuel oil in the water like wicks.
I'd classify the "mighty Miss" as America's sewer line and give that trip a pass in a small boat. I hear the Ten Tom is the way to go.
@capta

What year was that? Your description really takes all of the fantasy out of it.:(

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
I have not done the loop. Lots of loopers stage in Racine (Reefpoint Marina) where we keep our boat, MH37. My understanding is that sailboats take their masts down in Chicago and have them trucked down to Mobile Alabama where they are once again raised.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
When you read further in the book, you'll learn that part of the Great Loop, the NY Canal System has limited bridge clearance too. The mast has to come down. That isn't a big deal. There are marinas at each end of the canal that take down masts on a daily basis.

The Erie Canal section is relatively short, 4-5 days if heading to Lake Ontario, about 7-10 days if heading all the way to Lake Erie. Most sailors carry the mast onboard.

For the Chicago to Gulf Section, I have heard many sailboats have the masts unstepped in Chicago and shipped to a marina on the Gulf Coast to be stepped.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I recently followed the blog of a slip-mate who went down the western half of the Great Loop from Lake Erie through Chicago and the Tom-Bigbee to the Bahamas in a Hunter 30. Over time I’ve read a number of other accounts. My summary impression is that there is really not much chance to sail on the inland waterways, canals, or rivers. So the right boat for the Great Loop is (IMHO) a motor boat.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
@capta

What year was that? Your description really takes all of the fantasy out of it.:(
Sorry. Possibly '82 or 4? Yeah, blew my dreams all to hell. I hope this helps at least one person to choose the Ten Tom instead. I've heard that it's really nice, clean and easy.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I can't imagine any reason to follow the Mississippi all the way down south. Watch Sailing Soulinanis Sailing Soulianis for their segments on the trip from Chicago to Mobile on the Tenn-Tom Bigbee. It is worth watching. You'd follow the Illinois River to the Mississippi. Mississippi for a few days past St. Louis to the Ohio. Ohio River to Tennessee River and then south from there. It is the only way that is worth doing. It looked like the short segment motoring upriver on the Ohio had some pretty nasty current. Once in the Tennessee River, you are essentially on Kentucky Lake and current won't be a problem.

At the other end, I would skip the Erie Canal and do the Trent Severn system in Ontario from Lake Ontario to Lake Huron (Georgian Bay). You can skip Lake Erie entirely, which would probably be a good thing. I would skip the Erie Canal by taking the Hudson River and the canal system to Lake Champlain, the Richelieu system to St Lawrence River, then visit 1000 Islands . A lot of people like the Erie Canal for the history, though. I think I would choose the other way for the scenery.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jan 19, 2010
I don't think much has changed since Raban did the trip. Couldn't find the year 'cuz the Kindle version is newer, but could have been in the 80s, too.

Great read, btw, even if you're not even thinking of it or even decide not to go.
Thanks @Stu Jackson

I added it to my Amazon cart. :thumbup:

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Did it in 2011. Stepped mast in Chi and shipped to Mobile. Absolutely loved the trip.

Here's a little montage of that trip:

Lots of industry on the Illinois river, gets rural as you head south.

Loved locking thru, some were a 90' lift!

Hope you like tug boats!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
At the other end, I would skip the Erie Canal and do the Trent Severn system in Ontario from Lake Ontario to Lake Huron (Georgian Bay).
Can't do that easily. The only way to get to Lake Ontario is via the Erie Canal or sail up to the Gulf of St. Lawrence and then sail/motor about 1,000 miles upstream through the St. Lawrence River to the Bay of Quinte, where the mast has to come down to do the Trent-Severn.