The fuel tank H37C

Jun 27, 2020
Hunter 37C Near Chicago
The fuel tank is under the quarter berth and both the tanks under the settees are water correct? The tank under my port settee is aluminum and the makers labels says "Marine fuel tank" but I assume it is water? The yard where my boat is stored is being a little less than helpful. While the spring relaunching was already paid for by the current owner, the yard is telling me that there is no space available and as soon as I take title to the boat it has to be launched and moved. I wanted to store it there for a few weeks to give myself a chance to check her over a little more thoroughly. So I have to jump onto a totally unknown boat and move her 40 miles to a more friendly yard. I will have about 24 hours in a transient slip to check her out and get going. Probably no sailing sadly as there won't be time to rig her for sailing. Anyway I just want to be sure there is only the one fuel tank so I don't have to worry about switching valves etc. I will put fuel in the tank, make sure all the sea cocks except the engine cooling water are closed, change the impeller, check the shaft packing and go I guess. hope most everything else works.......

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I always like to have sails on and ready to deploy. I don't know what's up with this boat that you can't have them set to use. I'd have a spare fuel filter and know how to bleed the fuel system if solely depending upon the engine to get to your destination.

I'm sure there is more but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

dj

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
The fuel tank is under the quarter berth on the port side and the two water tanks are port and starboard under the settees in the main cabin.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Also suggest you have your anchor ready to deploy should you lose your engine while moving to new marina.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Also make sure you have towing insurance and the number of the tow boat company (towboat usa or whomever) handy. Ditto on the anchor ready to deply so if push comes to shove you can drop the anchor, call the towing service and get to some place. Regardless of a new boat or one you've been in for years, unless you have it siecured where one can't be deployed for a partcular reason (like very heavy weather, etc or your are in just too deep of water to even think about deploying) you should always have your anchor in a condition where it can be deployed in a reasonable amount of time.

I'd at least rig the jib to have some sail power. I'd also consider hiring an experienced person to help me get the sails on during that 24 hour window -it would be well worth the money and a rigger to check to rig tune to make sure you are safe, especially if the survey only did an inspection from the deck. (manpower not saying you are not experienced) Can't you find a transient slip somewhere closer than 40 miles to hold up and get yourself ready to go on a 40 mile sail in a "new to you" boat with no personal "history" on its condition other than what the PO, yard and surveryor said?

Jun 27, 2020
Hunter 37C Near Chicago
Thanks for the replies. I do have towing insurance. The boat has a couple anchors and a crappy looking rode so I will be bringing my biggest anchor and rode off my oDay 27, along with dock lines and fenders etc. I am trying for a couple days in a transient slip but availability is not good. I can probably rig the main and staysail but the running rigging is crap. My plan is to have the boat transported home for a full refit over the next few years so everything will be getting replaced eventually.
The whole experience of this purchase has been rather frustrating. I'm happy with the boat and happy with the deal but tired of getting the runaround from unfriendly marina people.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Depending upon how bad the running rigging is, I might go buy cheap nylon lengths to replace the worst. It's not expensive, you can always use it for tons of other things around the boat after refit.

dj

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Recently left a marina with a hostile management and went to one with a helpful and friendly management. The difference is profound with everyone here, both workers and boaters, joyful. In any organization, the attitude at the top eventually filters down to everyone within. Spend the time if you can and find a friendly marina to settle in. Almost like choosing a spouse.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37C McCormick, SC
Where is Home? Is that the 40 miles, or elsewhere? Noticed you did not mention anchoring out, but it could provide you with more time to sort things out at no charge.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37C McCormick, SC
Never underestimate a previous owners choices. Follow the waterline from the port tank to the bilge. Should have a valve connecting to the other tank. If it goes to the engine, you have an unpleasant surprise.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
don't take the title until you are ready to splash.
just an idea.

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
Tow boat US gold membership covers dock to dock towing for somewhere around $150 per year.