The First Day of Summer, is,...PHOTODAY!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Shooting boats out in the harbor, you need a good 'shoot boat'. I use my rowing dinghy to often row upwind of a boat. Then I drift down and explore the different angles.

Almost all boats have a best view. Most often, I find that best view is, from the aft quarter. Low to the water in a dinghy, you get a different angle than from the docks. Boats are more alive out on the harbor.

Spice aft moored (1 of 1).jpg

Feb 11, 2017
Oooooh!! Concordia . . .
I have copy # 1144 of 2000 of Elizabeth Meyer's book, Concordia Yawls, The First Fifty Years.
It was published in 1988, so that makes some of those boats 80 years old!

Feb 11, 2017
Rival 32 Traverse City, MI
It's been a while. Bear with me while I try to figure this new forum out.

This photo was taken several weeks ago while I was moving my boat to its summer port. We were about six miles offshore sailing under jib alone. The bluejay flew past then did a U-turn and landed on the front of the boom. It remained there for about half-an-hour then walked to the aft end of the boom. When I asked it "How are you doing today?" it took off.

Several years ago, in roughly the same area, a blackburnian warbler stopped by for a visit. It initially landed on my crew's head then moved to the front of the boom. It stayed on the boat several hours before flying off.