The Everglades Challenge 300

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Not your typical sailboat race. The next race is Saturday, March 07, 2020. The Everglades Challenge 300 is a 300 mile race from Tampa Bay to Key Largo. (WaterTribe Everglades Challenge ) is not limited to sailboats, any non-motorized vessel can enter, as long as they can start from on the beach. A member on the Mariner Class Website just posted this video. He had entered last year and was inviting other Mariner owners to enter. I would love to do this challenge, but Dragonfly won't be ready.

Anyhow, I thought you all might enjoy this video. It is long but exciting and, I suspect, gives a good flavor of what the challenge is like. There are some nice sailing clips for small boats in it.

Checking out their Website, it looks like they have even more grueling races. One does the entire Florida coast. Humm :rolleyes:???

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Watching “The Challenge “ I am reminded of:

They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.
They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end.
Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses.
He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.
Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

Psalm 107:23

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My nephew has a 17' Island Packet(?) centerboard boat in Ft. Lauderdale. Uhmmmm. OK, that idea passed. 300 miles! Back to the spectator bench.