The end of one era, beginning of the next

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Thank you Phil and Bly for a wonderful place to come and lie....er I mean learn about sailing.
This is such a wonderful place, thank you for your vision and perseverance. Congrats Al on being the proud new caretaker of our online world.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks so much for creating this space - a place of value to many. Hope you're going sailing now.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Phil,

Thank you and Bly for maintaining this community! I first joined shortly after we bought Lady Lillie in 2000, and have enjoyed and profited from SBO ever since. I have been in a few online communities since 1980, and SBO is unique among them all in its vitality and longevity.

Welll done!

Fair winds and following seas for you both!

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
It's kinda nice to sit back and realize you both have made a difference in many peoples lives!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Bly and Phil;
As we get older, sometimes we move on but still continue to be there. Whatever you do, Fair Winds, Smooth Waves, Happy Sailing and God Bless Both of you for the tremendous work you have offered to this community.
Now for Al Fooks. I met a young man many years ago working on line at Hunter Marine. He was serious about building a good product the right way which is only the right way to build if I recall his words exactly. he then went into warranty working diligently not only for the dealer but the consumer as well. He graduated to parts both dealer and retail with a vast knowledge of construction, parts, etc. working long hours often on the weekends. Since joining SBO, he has worked hard to find manufacturing for parts no longer made or available and with his vast knowledge, he is an asset to all of us. He is a person of integrity and in today's business world, that alone is a tremendous asset to helping all of us.
Welcome Aboard my old friend. I am so proud of you AL and May God Bless You in this endeavor.
I still wonder how he has put up with old fart Crazy Dave over the years which is a job in itself.

Al Fooks, John Perterson and I are proud of you young man.
Your friend always, Crazy Dave.

Attachments

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
First, thanks to Phil and Bly for all you have done to create, nuture, and grow this site and its community. What a tremendous resource for us all. Best of luck in your coming next endeavor, whatever that is.

Second, I have had the pleasure of meeting and dealing with Al. He is, in no particular order, earnest, diligent, communicative, no-nonsense, and immensely likeable. I have no doubt that we are in very capable hands, and I wish him good luck in THIS adventure.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
This website and the store is filled with GOOD PEOPLE. That's no accident, it's the result of your integrity and hard work. I can't say enough how valuable this website has been to me for advise and friendship (and a place to sometimes blow off steam and be contentious ;) - many thanks for tolerance!) Congratulations for this new chapter!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You will be missed, Phil! I'm sure the site will still be wonderful--maybe even get better (if that's possible)...but it won't be the same without you. I do hope you'll drop by every now and then to let us know what you've been up to.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Thanks so much for your time putting up with us. It is really hard to believe it has been that long. Enjoy your next adventures, where ever they may take you guys.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Phil, I appreciate the great tool you've built and fostered for sailors worldwide. The wealth of information, and the experience and variety of characters here are testament to this forum's great utility.

BTW, when's the war room opening back up? :biggrin:

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I've been to other boating sites. Always came back to this one. Now can't even remember my login for others.
The people here have helped save many thousands in repair and maint costs, and enabled a greater level of self-sufficiency. Plus improving sailing techniques, cruising ideas and gear, and general knowledge. Plus the stories.
Years ago we had to locate and crack specific books, or be lucky enough to find an old salt, in order to discover only a few secrets. Otherwise, we had to learn through a lifetime of trial and error.
Now we can just ask, or search others' askings, on a site brilliantly designed and refined for this lovely pastime.
Congratulations on a job well done.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I've made many friends here, actually have met a few in person. Thanks for all your help over the years with buying stuff. And thanks for the opportunity for many of us to give back to the community.

Stu

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I don't remember exactly when I logged into this forum, (although joined in 11/15) but the first time in I was taken hook, line, and sinker. Unfortunately I don't know any of the administrators, moderators, controllers, or programmers personally...but save their penmanship on this site. The responses that I've received to my inquiries from the knowledgeable, the sarcastic, the contentious, the comedians, the unintelligible, the Canadians, the seafarers, the little lakers, the monster lakers, the racers, the pilots, the cruisers, and including the entire global sailing community, have been the most incredibly entertaining and extremely helpful in making my decisions on becoming a better sailor and better DIY guy.

Good luck and fair winds to our departing Administrators and welcome new Skippers and Master Chiefs.

Best Regards...Wayne

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
As Scott T-Bird Said, this website is filled with Good People, and like so many good things it is a reflection of leadership,
Thank you Phil and Bly for your desire to hold this SBO site to a high standard of integrity and goodwill in all its aspects.
And a lot of laughter to me from the cast of many characters on board !

joe
s/v trinity

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
If you had made this announcement on April 1 would have thought "cruel,cruel joke!"
I had the pleasure of meeting you and Bly a few years ago in Annapolis and had always hoped to repeat the encounter. I, like countless others, consider this site and the access it affords me to so many wonderful people and discussions as essential to my well being!
My best wishes to you both and thank you for the wonderful resource you have created and managed so wonderfully. Please check in, say Hi, throw out some good news and keep in touch .

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Congratulations for you personally and the success of my favorite web site.....I end up here probably 3 times a day...for God
only knows how long each time and it transports me to parts unknown...This is where I have the most fun when not at the boat or out sailing......I learn a lot and hopefully can provide some help and advice as well....good music here too....
May the wind fill your sails and propel you in all that you do....Thanks for this fabulous web site! Patrick

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Many thanks to you and Bly for creating a place so many can rely on for information and friendship. Hardly a day goes by that I don't "check in" to see what's going on and what tidbits of info I can pick up. You have had a profound effect on so many and is something you should be proud of. I wish you all the best in your new endeavors.

Take care, Jerry

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Phil,

When I came aboard as a new owner of an older boat that needed a lot of attention I found SBO, and it became the most influential source of my learning. Not only about my boats but about what it means to be a part of the sailing community. Any time I had a question about anything SBO was the first place I looked and usually within moments, the question was answered. The value of your contributions (and the contributions of everyone on here, especially the ones who are always willing to lend a hand, opinion or guidance, like Stu and Maine) to our lifestyle is immeasurable. Fair winds and I will be having a glass of rum in honor of the past 20 years of SBO and then one for the next 20 years. THANK YOU!

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
Having retired a few years ago I will tell you that the future holds great things for you. This site has been the most consistently best thing on the internet. Whenever I make a new friend who sails, one of the first questions I ask them is "have you heard of SBO and Ask All Sailors?" Even the Admiral has gotten on board with this site and no longer lovingly refers to it as "my friends on A@ssH#le Sailors".
Good luck, fair winds. I am sure many of us would like to meet you personally so if the occasion arises
let us all know. If you are ever going to be at the Jersey shore, we would love to take you for a shore dinner so just PM me.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Thank you !! What a great accomplishment... you must feel a lot of pride. Thank you for your wonderful idea of this site so long ago. It's been a special place to complain, share, find cool stuff..... hear about music, wine, rum recommendations, figure out why something doesn't work and get 40 ideas on how to make it better. We've seen people come and go...some slowly edge their way in after years of lurking..... some come in all guns drawn, rile everyone up and disappear!! I've loved it all. Thanks for your considerable time spent to make it worthwhile. And did I mention the fabulous customer service and awesome products?? Thanks again, with gratitude. Patti