• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

THE ECLIPSE IS COMING.... THE ECLIPSE IS COMING

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chicken Little cried the Sky is falling. Aztec priests are said to have sacrificed warriors to bring back the sun...

If you live in the correct region of the US you will be able to see two types of eclipse this year and next.

First up, on the 14th of October, an Annular Eclipse will cast it's shadow across a swath of the country from the Oregon Coast to Texas.
1693442447180.png

NASA has produced a map to help sun seekers identify near by locations to view this solar phenomenon.
1693442673518.png

More detail can be experienced here on this link.

John and Jim

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If that is not enough SOLAR excitement for you check out the TOTAL ECLIPSE event on APRIL 8th, 2024.
1693442929007.png

When the sky's go dark the birds stop singing and an eerie quiet descends on the earth. It is a spectacle to experience.
I have seen 2 total eclipses.
  • One while flying a private plane over the high desert of Oregon just east of Hood River, OR. It was AWESOME.
  • The second was in a grassy meadow sipping wine with 2,000 new friends about 3 miles from my house. Spectacular.
If you can get in position and have clear sky's it will be a once in a lifetime experience. You'll possibly understand why once you do it you want to do it again and again. Some even travel the world to share the experience.

1693443418788.png

Good Luck.
John and Jim...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes, the rumors are true, I arranged the eclipse to pass right over my house on my birthday. Thought it would be a good way to celebrate. :biggrin: