The dreaded crowded ramp...

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lisa Woodburn

Hi all, What if you just wanted to get away on the lake and all your friends were too busy to come along, or they had no clue how to drive a vehicle with a trailer up from the ramp? Now that the weather's getting warmer and the ramps are getting crowded... does anyone have some tips for singlehanded launching? Same for retrieving... I've only had my C22 for half a year. During the winter there was plenty of room to walk the boat off the trailer and lead her around to where I wanted her on the docks. Now that the ramps are getting crowded -what would you suggest? Motoring the boat off the trailer to a dock space that's open, while the vehicle is still running in the water and taking up ramp space? What if some powerboat takes the only open dock space during the process and it takes more than is "considerate" to get the boat tied up & the vehicle & trailer out of the way? Have you noticed many boaters furious over a dilemma like this, when someone launches alone? Is there any solution to this, besides taking Mondays & Fridays off so as to launch & retrieve the boat more efficiently? (NO - don't even suggest no singlehanded launching.......occasional singlehanded sailing is a LUXURY and provides some well needed SPACE and FREEDOM.. as well as a good learning experience!) Any particular times during the day you've noticed the ramps less crowded? I do try to keep abreast of the fishing tournaments, yacht club race weekends & etc. to stay away on those known times to avoid the ramps..... Someone did suggest to just play the "helpless female" and have the next "guy" in line help me launch my boat so I'd get out of HIS way quicker :) Thanks in advance for any advice, Lisa

S

Skip Skolnik

be careful, Ask For Help

I was at a ramp near downtown cleveland on a holiday weekend,a few years back and there was a line fo say 15 boaters waiting and a fight broke out. I was amazed! Be as effecient as possible. I would ask for help. "Most" boaters are good people. I would look for a fellow sailor to ask first. Is there a temporary dock right buy the ramp. If so launch the boat and ask sombody to hold the boat while you park the car and trailer. Personal note - the helpless female thing works but don't degrade yourself. However that works if you are looking to meet guys! Skip Previous trailer Sailor

M

mg

do what you would do

take the time you need to ensure the safety of yourself , your craft , and the others around you. if people complian apologize, and educate in the needs of a sailboat . if they persist suggest they contact the local authorities. boat ramps where i live are woefully ill prepared for the single handed sailor. (one local lake finally built a "sailboat ramp" with no pier and on the wrong side of the bridge , them wondered why no one used it !!!)without complaints and incidents the builder of ramps wont make changes such as piers which are parallel to the ramp. (seems like common sense to me but...) ive educated many power boaters in the ways of sailors and even end up hearing "wow what a great idea1" very few have been unfriendly. by the way look around . not many people are looking out for your welfare so you are the one who needs to . when i get started ill let others know where im going and what i expect from them . its amazing how compliant most folks are when someone actually provides structure for an ambiguous situations. i always present a happy enthusiastic and open approach which seems to keep the occasional grouch off step.best of luck from one single handler to another. mg

G

gary jensen

just launch it!

Being a previous trailered boat person, I would just launch it in a safe and expedient manner. Don't let others who are in a rush affect your fun. If they are grumpy, so be it. Its their problem. The only thing I would do is learn to launch safely and expediently. After that its not on you. Just enjoy your sail!!!!

B

Brian Ranniger

Good Practice

I agree with the others. I launched and trailered my MacGregor 26 with absolutely no help. The first time I was more nervous than my first parachute jump! Maneuvering my boat after launching (with daggerboard up and no ballast flooded) was the most difficult maneuvering I've ever done. Total Fear! However, if you can master that, especially alone, you can do anything. As far as other boaters waiting...I didn't worry. Most of them have trouble even though they don't have much windage and have vectorable thrust. Just be ready to go so it looks like you know what you're doing. I've asked the ranger to move my vehicle for me when there is a crowd. When I took the boat to new locations where there were no other sailboats I enjoyed being the minority. People actually were friendly generally. They were often amazed that I could step the mast etc. with no help. Well, anyway, have fun and maybe find some people who might like to go sailing rather than powerboating.

D

Dave of Nature's Cradle

Your Final Sentence :)

Hi Lisa, Your final sentence may in fact be your best salvation. If your pride doesn't get in the way ? I'm sure since you live in Arizona you won't be hard pressed to find some goat roping fishermen that would just love to help a damsel in distress !!! What I do when alone is after backing down the ramp and backing in ehough to allow the boat to float up free of the trailer having bow and stern lines attached and coiled ready to go take both in hand , unleash the tow eye hook and gently pull backwards and guide the boat from the dock. But remember that I always wait until I have the very first immediate dock position free before I begin to remove the boat from the trailer. There are two sides to all docks at lakes here in California and if need be I lead Natures Cradle just like my dog around to the back side of the dock that is positioned away from the loading ramp.Tie her off with the fenders out of course. Then I remove my truck and trailer. For those who can't wait well then thats just too bad, they will get over it. Most of the people I know with fishing boats go out of their way to help, even if they aren't sailors or rag boaters like ourselves. There is always going to be someone, and I've run into them even in Santa Barbara, and Monterey that if they were my sons or daughters I'd slap their teeth right out of their heads. I know this doesn't solve your dilema, and believe me I too enjoy solitude of sailing alone at times, but maybe it might give you an idea you can work with. Happy Voyaging :) Dave

L

Lisa Woodburn

Clarification of the last sentence....

FYI- I didn't mean any humbling of pride or "degradation" (and yes, a female sailor gave me the advise :) .....however, I've noticed more people will offer to help a lone gal at the ramp than a lone guy. I've also noticed it's a lot easier with some help launching. I prefer to launch the boat like "walking a dog" off the trailer, but now it's not always assured that the docks by the ramp will be open in order to walk the boat around. If a nearby spot is available, some help maneuvering my boat by the lines around another would be appreciated - if it means obtaining a "quick" spot on the dock. I've waited some days for a few people to pass me to get the right lane to do this down the ramp, but in the summer another boat is sure to take the dock space there as soon as it's freed up - before I can even position the trailer or unhook the boat. I'll let you know what works by the end of the summer. If anything, maybe I'll have someone behind me on the ramp at least move my trailer out of the way while I power around for dock space.... I'm sure they'd appreciate the launching spot! Just would hope they wouldn't lock my keys in the vehicle! Fridays & Mondays off during the summer still sound like the best (most fun) alternative - if I can't get a spot at the docks - an overnight marina slip won't be such a bad deal to wait out the crowds! What the heck - there's a bar & grill there in case provisions are low! Lisa

J

Joe

Leave it at the lake for the summer...

Hi lisa, I've been following your posts this past year. It sounds like you are really enjoying your boat, and becoming an avid sailor. I am not familiar with your lake. It sounds like the crowds are huge during the summer. Us pokey sailboat folks must really irritate the jetski/skiboat yo-yo's. Anyway, I was wondering if you have tried other launching ramps/areas at the lake? Even if you have to drive a bit more finding less crowded conditions would justify the extra time. Since it sounds like you get out there quite a bit why don't you consider renting a slip or a mooring for a few months and just leave it in the water. The extra money you spend will free up so much of your time. The boat will always be rigged, just hoist the sail and off you go. With the long summer days coming soon you can even zip out to the lake on weekdays for couple hours. I trailer sailed for years, but I got tired of hooking up, towing to the lake, rigging, launching, recovering, de-rigging, washing down, and towing back home when I was tired. A small boat, like a Laser, is not too bad, cause you can launch off the beach, butlarger boats are a pain for the singlehander. Don't get discouraged with the crowded ramp situation. Try launching at night maybe, or be the first one there in the morning. Whatever it takes, keep sailing.

D

Dave LaPere of Nature's Cradle

Well one other thing

Hi Lisa, One thing I have done I forgot to mention, was launching from the trailer and passing your stern and bow lines to the boats at the dock, they could in fact walk your boat around theirs while you move your car. Yes fenders are required for this manuever. PS It doesn't matter who thought of the Damsel in distres senario, even us guys use it sometimes and it does work . LOL You see not everyone siting at the dock in a stinkpot are men :) Happy Sailing :) Dave

G

George

Slip time

Having gone the trailer route and also the slip route, I will have to say that we have found that it is well worth the extra drive (10 miles each way) and the extra cost, to get a slip for our Capri 22 and not deal with trailer launching as we did with our power boat. The difference has been enough that since we started keeping the Capri in a slip, the power boat has never gotten in the lake since......... It makes the difference between having to plan on the efforts of launching,etc., and just going down to the marina and hoping on the boat. We picked a small out of the way marina that is very popular with families, etc., and really enjoy it. Good luck. George

L

Lisa Woodburn

Slip would be great, and...

I've been tempted. There are oppotunities here to rent a slip for the summer from sailors who take their boats somewhere cooler than 100+ degrees to sail in over the summer. Unfortunately, this is also the season when daycare/summer camp costs increase about the same amount as the cost of a slip/month. Hey - if slips came with a summer camp for kids on the lake - all would be solved! :) Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement. And no- I won't let the crowds keep my son and I from sailing! We're taking a 3 day weekend for Cinco De Mayo (with a friend playing hooky that Fri., too - to hold back the crowds:) Happy Sailing, all. Everyone's season is kicking in now!! Enjoy! Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.