The dogs of SBO, 2019 edition

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
@SFS - these threads are written ahead of time (weeks sometimes) and parked in a private forum until they are moved to Ask All Sailors on a specific day and time. That probably messes up the numbering. Nothing has changed in the software.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I was just telling my wife, yesterday, about how they use to stack dories, one inside another, on the decks of fishing schooners. Now I can show her.

Great picture, Tom. Did you take that?;)

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Mitch M
What breed is your dog. Very happy to be on the water.
thanks for posting.
Also Maine what breed are yours?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
"A little brown dog"!
A Boykin is on my bucket list to take along sailing. I met a guy here at Belle Haven who cruises with one.
Boykin Spaniel... Created just outside the city limits of Camden, SC. Where I was born and raised.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
My seagoing poodle could never distinguish a seal from a lobster pot. Last spring we took him to the outdoor sea lion exhibit at the Boston Aquarium. He was right up on the glass and totally engaged in watching the creatures swimming by. After that experience he too became an avid seal watcher on deck. Still has trouble distinguishing whales, though we are working on that.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Poodles They don’t deserve those fancy and goofy hair clips, nor the reputation that encourages.
BINGO! Neither of ours will ever look like a high school cheerleader...

Funny thing is our red one is confused for a “doodle” (golden or labradoodle) almost daily. The look of shock on people’s faces when we respond with “nah she’s just a regular old poodle” is priceless...

Even had one very adamant but quite ignorant lady ask how we got hair to grow on her snout because “poodles don’t have snout hair”....

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
When I met my wife in high school, she worked for a local veterinarian. She talks about how many people brought their dogs in named lassie and when asked what breed of dog lassie was? They answered, in wonder at the question, "Why, she's a collie!"

(I don't know who this is. The dog picture came up under "mutt mixed breed" google search, but that's a Mariner of the same vintage as mine).

-Will (Dragonfly)