The Coast Guard will cease monitoring all high frequency voice distress frequencies

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Published in today's Federal Register. https://www.regulations.gov/document...2020-0668-0006

High Frequency digital selective calling, high frequency voice in waters off Alaska and Guam, and all VHF watches are unaffected.

Summary

The U.S. Coast Guard will cease monitoring all High Frequency (HF) voice distress frequencies within the contiguous United States and Hawaii because they are rarely used. These frequencies are: 4125 kHz; 6215 kHz; 8291 kHz; and 12290 kHz. Advances in radio technology offer alternative means to send out distress notices. We will continue to monitor HF Digital Selective Calling distress alerting for all existing regions and voice distress alerting and hailing from Kodiak, Alaska, and Guam.

Dates

The Coast Guard will cease monitoring all high frequency voice distress frequencies on February 7, 2022.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I thought those were pre-programmed into my SSB radio as Coast Guard channels. Yep, first few channels. Does that mean don’t call them on those channels looking for help?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I know nothing about radio. Total PHD user.
Can you reconcile these two statements?
1) ...The U.S. Coast Guard will cease monitoring all High Frequency (HF) voice distress frequencies within the contiguous United States and Hawaii because they are rarely used...
2) ...We will continue to monitor HF Digital Selective Calling distress alerting for all existing regions and voice distress alerting and hailing from Kodiak, Alaska, and Guam...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Voice monitoring is tedious work, if one can call it work. On HF, one hears static all day and one can hear phantom signals within the static. So I can understand the "voice watch" being terminated in favor of DSC. Under subnormal conditions, digital signals will penetrate severe atmospheric conditions better than voice could ever do.

I understand in the statement that voice watch will continue to monitor voice hailing from Kodiak, Alaska, and Guam. Not sure why those two locations. So that is a little baffling to me.

Now, a little commentary about all this. I believe in DSC. I believe in digital communications as being more reliable than voice. But, there is something about hearing another human voice and being rest assured and comforted by that voice. Digital is fine, but is just so cold. On VHF we have DSC but a lot of people really do not know how to use it or what to do after they press the red button. At least with voice one can be more specific about the nature of the emergency.

Just my thoughts and opinion. Other opinions accepted.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I’m thinking if the possibility of being out of VHF range comes up and I need help, calling on SSB is available.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I know nothing about radio. Total PHD user.
Can you reconcile these two statements?
1) ...The U.S. Coast Guard will cease monitoring all High Frequency (HF) voice distress frequencies within the contiguous United States and Hawaii because they are rarely used...
2) ...We will continue to monitor HF Digital Selective Calling distress alerting for all existing regions and voice distress alerting and hailing from Kodiak, Alaska, and Guam...
I suspect satellite communication coverage is unavailable in Guam and Kodiak

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I suspect satellite communication coverage is unavailable in Guam and Kodiak
Why would you suspect that? Kodiak probably isn't great for GEO satellites like Inmarsat but EPIRBs, SPOT Inreach, and Iridium use LEO and MEO satellites which cover the entire earth.
The cost of satellite SMS services has really come down so usage has gone up. Coverage and ease of use is much better than HF so it's not surprising people are moving away from HF to satellite communications even though it's not free to use.
Thanks for the PSA Brian.