The boat yard called....

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
man, jealous. Still ice on my end of the lake lol. As sad as it is though, I hope it stays for another 2 weeks at least. I still have a few things on the hull to take care of before splash time!

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
My boat goes in the week of Memorial Day, assuming the ice will be out by then...
Right now, I would probably need snowshoes to get to it in the yard.
I've got all the new boating catalogs out, and I feel like the old farmer looking through the seed catalogs and waiting to plant.
Here it is about two days before the first day of Spring. I'm in Virginia, and there is snow on the ground. My boat is in Michigan and buried.
My town has had over 200 inches of snow so far and doesn't seem to be done yet.
The good news is that the Great Lakes water levels are coming up!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My boat IS in the water in Annapolis... but I can't do anything with it yet. This year, mother nature is, really, well, a m...

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Just saw on Eastern PA Weather Blog that they anticipate below normal temps for March, with a possible storm at the end of March, and maybe even another one in early April. Then a hot, dry summer. This is not encouraging from an un-tarping, window replacing standpoint! Notwithstanding there are only soft water areas on the north side of coves at the lake so far. Main body is still completely iced in. Looks like it will be the second season in a row that I am not ready to launch until well past my April 15 dry storage cutoff point. Very unhappy about this. :(

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
Don, I may very well see you there this summer sometime. Picked up a slip on Pier 6 for my Excalibur (granted she's still a restoration in progress, but I've always loved Treman park, so it was a natural choice). I know the ice was receding quite a bit back down the lake when I was up two weekends ago, can only imagine it's a little more gone by now. Might find out this weekend, assuming more parts get here by then :)

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
Yeah, we'll it dipped into the low 50's here this morning. I had to put on a fleece!! ;-)

Sorry guys, couldn't resist. I do feel for you all being stuck for much of the year.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
wow,

that seems early for Long Island, especially this year. I have just started on my spring prep work. Normally I like to be in the water in April, this year I'm aiming for mid may.

Barry

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
wow,

that seems early for Long Island, especially this year. I have just started on my spring prep work. Normally I like to be in the water in April, this year I'm aiming for mid may.

Barry
someone's gotta be first!:D

Cambo

Aug 28, 2013
Hinterhoeller Niagara 31 Parry Sound
I'm very jealous! Can't even get to my boat without a snowmobile and snowshoes at this point and people are still snowmobiling on parts of Georgian Bay.

The photo was taken yesterday while shoveling my roof.

image-3179718814.jpg

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I'm very jealous! Can't even get to my boat without a snowmobile and snowshoes at this point and people are still snowmobiling on parts of Georgian Bay.

The photo was taken yesterday while shoveling my roof.

View attachment 73171
If you are shovelling because of water getting in (Ice dam, actually capillary action of water going up hill.) you need a few more roof vents for better air flow from the vents in the eves.
But with what looks like the amount of snow that you have there regular old vents wont do anything when covered with it. You may want to consider a couple of the spinning type vents that sit up higher.
I was in Tremblant Quebec last week tobogganing and they didn't have as much snow as you do.
I came home to 1.5' less here in London Ont. Yea. The boats are still covered...

Attachments

Cambo

Aug 28, 2013
Hinterhoeller Niagara 31 Parry Sound
Thanks for the advice finding41. Not just a great form for sailing advice!

That is the reason, ice dams and water coming in but i dont think its due to lack of ventilation.I have cathedral ceilings and skylights and by the looks of the dams built up just below the skylights, they have been melting the snow that lands on them and causing the dams. I do have insulated skylight covers to go on top of them but I didn't get them on this year because the snow came so early.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Thanks for the advice finding41. Not just a great form for sailing advice!

That is the reason, ice dams and water coming in but I dont think its due to lack of ventilation.I have cathedral ceilings and skylights and by the looks of the dams built up just below the skylights, they have been melting the snow that lands on them and causing the dams. I do have insulated skylight covers to go on top of them but I didn't get them on this year because the snow came so early.
Next time you do the roof... (I know you want to hear this...)
Go all out and use the Ice and Water Shield all the way up from the eves. It will cost about $300 more for the average house but it won't ever leak again!
We used to have bad ice dams to the point of water leaking onto the window sills! (Not good for white linen curtains!) When I did my roof 2 years ago and used it for the first 6' form the eves. Then tar/ felt paper the rest of the way up. There used to be 3 vents. Now there are 7. (Read the instructions on a bundle of shingles and don't let a roofer NOT follow them. They won't want to put that much Ice Shield on because they won't ever be back...)
I also got into my attic and pulled the insulation away form the roof and trusses ware it touched. (Great job PO.) Then vacuumed out the < space so air could move. Then added another foot of fluffy stuff keeping it away from the edges.
(A couple years ago there was a insulation incentive form the Ont. government and a lot of my contracting clients took advantage of it. One problem was the insulation company's were growing so quickly they didn't train there guys not to fill the < space when they blew it in. Allot of peoples eves were ripped off there houses that winter by Ice dams! My clients included. I had my clients get there eves fixed for free by the insulation company's by showing the poor work and lack of care they took.)