The Art of Finding a Gunk Hole with a Mac 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... I guess what I was getting at it the pressure on the rudder and tiller when operating in the horizontal position. I'm afraid I am going to break one of them. Then again we aren't talking about a long run
I think that is a real concern. I wouldn't do any hard sailing with the rudder in the kicked up position if I could avoid it. ... and I have broken a prop once when the rudder was up. Also took a chunk out of the rudder ... so using the outboard with the rudder in the up position has issues also.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
Kick up rudder

I think that is a real concern. I wouldn't do any hard sailing with the rudder in the kicked up position if I could avoid it. ... and I have broken a prop once when the rudder was up. Also took a chunk out of the rudder ... so using the outboard with the rudder in the up position has issues also.
Its a kick up rudder, it is suppose to be down when you are sailing in deep enough water. As you enter shallows either knowingly or unknown, the rudder will kick up. There have been many times when I had no choice but to sail with the rudder up because of the depth of the water.

That is when you spend the time looking over the side to see all of the shells, fish and such that are easily seen in the shallow water.

So you take a knockdown its only 14 inches deep

Status
Not open for further replies.