The 23.5's maiden voyage: some good, some bad

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Talked to the guy that fixed my gin pole at the rigging shop yesterday. Showed him detailed photos of the crack. He agreed that the forces on the plate are greatest while putting the mast up and down. He thought the mast would come down ok, since the crack was only on one side of the foot. Suggested screwing in a stainless steel strap across the crack. So I am thinking now that I will attach the strap and retap the rivets with the mast up. I can replace the foot next time I need to take the mast down. Fingers crossed.

Sep 16, 2007
Hunter 23.5 lighthouse landing
As a SOF (Safety Officer) at work I would tell management replace it! No more difficult than it is to raise and lower mast and low cost replacement. Not worth risk.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
If you rivet a new one on yourself, monel rivets would be the best choice. They're expensive and hard to find in lots less than 100, but you can buy them individually at sailsport marine. These are monel with a stainless mandrel. (I just got some to re-rivet my mast foot). Not sure of the grip range you need, but this one would probably work: They also have other lengths.

http://sailsportmarine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=181

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
If you rivet a new one on yourself, monel rivets would be the best choice. They're expensive and hard to find in lots less than 100, but you can buy them individually at sailsport marine. These are monel with a stainless mandrel. (I just got some to re-rivet my mast foot). Not sure of the grip range you need, but this one would probably work: They also have other lengths.

http://sailsportmarine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=181
Hey! Thank you so much. I was wondering about the sizing, and hadn't even thought about the type. I assume I can use any rivet gun, right?

Just terrific, thanks again. How the hell were guys able to keep their boats on the water before web forums?

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I just used my standard hand rivet gun on the monel rivets. They compress kind of hard, but not nearly as bad as stainless ones.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
I know stainless steel or Monel rivets will be much stronger, but just a thought to consider... it may be preferable for a rivet to sacrifice itself before tearing through your mast aluminum. Also, less chance of bi-metal corrosion. I'd be interested in others weighing in. I used aluminum rivets on mine with that mind. BrianW

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Don't Over Think It

All the rivets do is keep the foot from falling of when the mast is down.

The foot in question would be fine for quite a while if left to it's own. I agree it should be replaced but so long as the crack does not grow. The mast is not going to fall, the beer is not going to get warm and the dog is not going to have puppies.

Relax, enjoy the boat and use aluminum, monel, stainless, or even titanium rivets whatever is on hand and affordable you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Stainless steel and aluminum will corrode over time as they are two different metals that will corrode. However, that will occur over time. I have seen the stainless steel pop rivets used vs. aluminum pop rivets but the strength is in the stainless steel. The big concern was on the outside for the corrosion to occur which did occur over time not so much a worry inside the mast. I use to drill the holes and would place a sheet of rubber or neophrene between the mast foot and the stainless steel pop rivet and then attach it which was good so the two metals would not touch on the outside of the mast. Then cut the access rubber sheet or neophrene off. Not an issue but you have to use a thicker piece vs. paper sheet size thickness.

Pop rivet guns you buy are very difficult to install the stainless steel pop rivet guns. They use to be expensive but years ago after mine had been stolen, I purchased another big pop rivet gun at an automotive store and the cost had come down substantially.

As for using the original mast holes as long as they are not torn out, that is fine. If the poop rivets tore out, simply drill in a different place which you will be fine. Many think of a lot of forces being applied but in reality, not so true which some will disagree but too long to go into an explanation here. However if the mast is ripped up to the pop rivets, simply cut off that 1 inch or a little more but the issue would be the rigging at this point. In most cases, that was fine but more of the studs in the turnbuckles. You would have to look at the cost of the shrouds of shortening them vs. a new mast and so forth.

If the mast is fractured or ripped too far, I always said time for a new mast and when folks talk of sleeving the mast that cannot happen as you have to have a piece that will fit exactly inside the mast for that and it was never made for an inside sleeve by the mfg. For those who say weld a mast, I refused to be a part of that as too many forces are exerted and I have seen the aftermath of welded small boat mast.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Why I used monel rivets:

On my boat, the rivets were loose and the foot was wobbling some in the mast. The rivets looked like they were probably original and were either monel or stainless. While there really shouldn't be much in the way of shear forces on the rivets, my loose ones seemed to say otherwise. This is probably worse for a boat like mine (and the op's) where the mast is stepped by rotating it up on the mast pin. So for me, aluminum rivets were out.

As Dave pointed out, the use of stainless on aluminum will cause the aluminum to corrode. Didn't want this to happen and destroy the rivet holes in the mast over time. Monel is not supposed to cause the same galvanic corrosion to the aluminum. To be safe, anyway, I put a dab of Duralac on all the rivet holes. Also, I could use my pop rivet gun on the monel rivets. For stainless, I'd need a better rivet gun.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Ah, this is good news. I just ordered 20 Monel rivets. Now I just need to find out where in the hell I can find some Duralac to dab on them. Thanks!

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Now I just need to find out where in the hell I can find some Duralac to dab on them. Thanks!
Fisheries Supply.

Hold on to your wallet. You probably don't need it under the monel rivets.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Hold on to my wallet? Is that possible as a sailor? No evidence so far.....

Apr 13, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Jackson Bay Marina, Fort Gibson Lake
The foot would likely hold up while the mast is up, the danger is it giving way while raising & lowering the mast. While it can be welded by a welder experienced in aluminum, it would cost less to purchase a new one.