The 2018 Alden Rendezvous at Mystic Seaport Museum

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
was a resounding success!
Mystic Siren, whaling ship_.jpg

Mystic Seaport Museum is a fascinating facility (we know, having been there). Coming by water only enhanced the experience. It’s a twisty few miles up the Mystic River with 2 bridges to open along the way. The museum grounds stretch along a small bay at the top with a great protected anchorage for visiting boats (go, if you can).

Xmas Eve docks.jpg

The wonderful staff helped with tricky tie ups to a seawall of pilings supplying needed muscle and big fender boards. All the dock space was filled with the boats on display. Water and electricity are on the wall. Bright clean bathrooms and showers stay open 24/7, for the boat owners.

Scott Kraft, owner of an Alden Caravelle, single handedly organized the boat owners.
Scott Kraft and Caravelle.jpg

The 1926 Alden schooner, HALF MOON is a gem.
Half Moon 1926.jpg

As is this Alden Malabar II
Malabar II_.jpg

3 generations on an Alden schooner.
Phra Lang.jpg

The Alden legacy includes glass hulls - now antiques as well. Another Alden Caravelle:
Scout.jpg

There was a beautiful 1920's motoryacht moored next to us. Scuttlebutt said the captain was the third generation on the boat. The classic owner sat in the shade most of the day, with his old cat.
Alden owner and cat.jpg

At night, the organ was played a bit.
Alden owner organ.jpg

As well as a presentation of Rosenfeld photos of Aldens, the museum opened their enormous storage sheds to we participants.
Boat house - stern.jpg

Not opened to the public, this was a treat for all of us! It’s hard to describe this vast collection of our maritime heritage.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Boat house - sails.jpg

Hulls of all kinds and shapes are stacked up to the rafters inside. Some looking ready to sail, others in ‘moth balls’, but sound.

There’s a field inside of ancient mechanical gear.
Boat house - machinery.jpg

You could see the delight as participants found relics from the past, our past. I stumbled on this old Evinrude 3 horse outboard.
Boat house - Lightwin_.jpg

I had a used one on an 8’ plywood pram when I was about 7-9 years old and had some adventures in that boat. I remembered the tinny noise, smells, and it’s uncanny ability to leave me stranded at the most inopportune times. Fondness,... and perhaps the reason I love the simplicity and peace of a set of oars today.

Boat house - WC Mina.jpg

Once the gates are closed and the last day visitor filters out, like a scene from the movie, ‘Night at the Museum’, Mystic Seaport grounds are ours. The experience was very unique thanks to the Seaport staff.

Motoryacht.jpg

The event wrapped up with a parade of the departing boats powering down the river. Naturally, in the fray of getting underway, we lost our instructions and placement in the parade.

We joked that the dog may have eaten it.

Tommie ate it._.jpg

With an announcer on shore describing the individual boats we zipped through the open bridges (we, the only sailboat amongst the powerboats,...), and on our separate ways.

Boat house - Vireo.jpg

The kind museum staff sent us the event banner which is a photo I took of our boat sailing. Nice memories! Thanks to the Mystic Seaport Museum!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Wow!
What an experience. Beautiful boats, Mystic is a special place, for sure. I remember tying Sunflower up next to America on our way to Maine. Ever since that visit, I've wanted to learn to play sea ditties on a concertina. But alas, like those classic beauties, I can't afford one so it's the harmonica for me.

- Will (Dragonfly)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Love the post, miss this from living in Maine and Rhode Island for sure. Just not the winters...