That's Better ! Y25-II

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
That's Better Y25-II

OK,
After a bit of time whittling wood, refastening all the hardware with ss-nutserts, thru bolting the new high load stand up Block (ronstan) and a general going over I hope to have a stronger dog house. 36 years of tugging on all the hardware had taken its toll.

Here are some construction info that may be helpful. this is the way my boat was put together.

Grab rail : Has 6 mounting bolts the wood guy said the material looked like hickory/pecan so that is what I used to mill the new grab rails.
Each end is thru bolted 5mm /10-32
The two aft are wood screws into the dog house. The two forward are only through the cowling. All hardware is now secured with ss-nutserts or thru bolted.
If they are loosening (as mine were) the have lost their clamping force that holds down the blocks. and cowling. A close look at the video posted to you-tube "syntonos" shows the distortion prior to failure while under load, the cowling is not flush to the deck at the mast step.
Dog house construction:
Below the cowling the fiberglass is about 1/4 inch thick , unlike the deck construction. The inner headliner is very thin and can quickly be drilled through ( don't ask how I know).

Careful probing to find out where the new block would come through was needed before committing to the through bolt approach. The block used is a Ronstan RF50171HL and the backup plate is a schaefer part that matched the bolt pattern perfectly. The wood cheeks next to the block in comparison pic are to capture the block between the dog house and cowling and help to spread the loads. I had to cut the bolts to length to get the proper bolt grip when using the cap nuts.

So there you have it. we'll see what we can bust next!

Nuthin is better than messin with boats.

Attachments

Last edited: