That Aqua Lift Muffler..........

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
Why oh why would someone epoxy the aqua lift to the hull??????? I thought I had a good plan going to repair the thing. I was going to try Mark Hamilton's nicely detailed repair on the Cat 30 owners site. Well that's out the window, next weekend I guess I bring the sawzall and try not to sink the boat cutting the POS out. :banghead:

Nov 14, 2013
Oh, it's leaking the typical leak at the inlet. Already cut, dismantled, disassembled and are at a point of no return. It's got to come out. I read somewhere on the web that a large crow bar works well. It's going to be a very interesting Memorial Day Weekend.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Success?

i have a feeling i'll be in the "same boat" harharhar.. sometime soon with mine..

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Why oh why would someone epoxy the aqua lift to the hull??????? I thought I had a good plan going to repair the thing. I was going to try Mark Hamilton's nicely detailed repair on the Cat 30 owners site. Well that's out the window, next weekend I guess I bring the sawzall and try not to sink the boat cutting the POS out. :banghead:
POS can also mean.......Previous Owners Suck!

Nov 14, 2013
Okay, update. The aqua lift was NOT epoxied in, it was just really hard to get loose. After some time, and 4 different pry bars, it popped loose. Now to get it out without having to remove the kitchen sink.

Nov 14, 2013
Update #2. Feeling pretty good today. Notes for others, disconnect your batteries lots of live wires in the engine compartment that get moved around while muscling this thing out (don't ask how I know). The alternator has to be removed, once it is there is just enough room, and I mean JUST enough, to pull the muffler out threw the large top hatch in the main saloon (salon?) but it can be done. Now to the work bench at home and start the rebuilding process.

Attachments

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
A new waterlift muffler would be much smaller than that beast you have and less likely to have a fatal co leak.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Perfect ! Will be fine.. service is nasty and a little corrosive but a glass fix should last about forever.
Good Luck with it, Chris.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Hey...ours was strapped brown with a bungee cord! Yes...POS!:clap:

Nov 14, 2013
Update; a month later ("life" does seem to get in the way sometimes, my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer shortly after I removed the muffler) anyway, here are photos of my rebuild. It's a little ugly but I'm planning on sanding and paint tomorrow.

All in all I am very pleased with this repair and along with the "hump hose" I think it will be a long term repair.
IMG_1194.JPG IMG_1195.JPG

Attachments