Thanks to all O'day owners

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Two thoughts:
First:
I just read an article about websites shutting down or closely monitoring their comments sections due to rude and nasty conversations. I've seen this on other sailing related sites as well. It made me think how enjoyable it is to check in from time to time with my fellow O'day owners and sailboatowners.com in general. There are often many ways to skin a cat, set a sail , pull an engine so the opportunity for disagreement is there. You all seem to handle it well and for that I thank you.
Second:
We are all very fortunate (or opportunistic) that the sailing industry has been conservative by nature generally unwilling to pursue planned obsolescence to encourage new boat sales. Looking back at the entire sailing fleet, our 1980 models look and sail very similar to 1990 and early 2000 boats. It seems it took the popularity of catamarans in the charter industry to push the boat builders into radically wide beams carried all the way aft, dual helms, and large portlights (I could call them windows)
This lumps our 1980 boats in with the majority of the existing fleet. This allows owners like Joe (25 years later), wishing to completely restore their boats, to surprise people at the dock thinking they are looking at a much later model boat.

How many people would you fool pulling up to your country club driving freshly waxed 1984 Cadillac Cimmiron. More importantly, why would you want to with the vastly improved passenger saftey, anti skid, traction control etc. that comes with the new models.

The greatest (IMO)improvement in the sailing industry has been the GPS and is easily added to any boat.

The boat manufactures have awoken to planned obsolescence and we will all enjoy watching radical new ideas appear just to disappear or set the trend for the next year or two.

Showroom new boats will quickly look out of style without the cool new features (think goofy daylight running lights on new cars) Our 1980's models will fall into the blur of what I call traditional 1980, 1990, and early 2000 boats that if cared for will remain on the water and the bulk of the fleet for years to come.

This site is important in keeping these boats afloat.

Attachments

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Thanks for the observation Todd. I'd like to second the civility of the folks here at Odayowners.com. I have seen some heated conversations but they were more enthusiasm than malice. I also agree that the new boats, while wonders of engineering, carry a price tag that is sure to keep many from deciding to pursue an interest in sailing. That should keep this perhaps the premier website for those of us looking to keep our older boats going and giving entry level individuals an avenue to ownership that doesn't exist for other recreational endeavors.

Nov 1, 2010
Oday 272 Brownstown, MI - Lake Erie Metro Park Marina
Both postings are "Right-On". My wife and I have returned to sailing in the past few years due to the Challenges, Simplicity, Difficulty, Opportunity, Creativity, and all the Adventures that our little boat can provide! We enjoy the seclusion of sailing along with the friendships and dockside interactions that our mutual endeavor promotes.
We are all "Gluten's for Punishment"; be it: purchasing a new boat and finding that one needs to keep adding equipment, buying a ready to go and fully equipped (need nothing) boat that will require your personal touch, or the project that will evolve (over time) with extensive re-furbishing and re-building. Sailors require boating to be a pursuit and challenge to ones self. We all appear to need an opportunity to test, fail, retry, rework, and hopefully accomplish various tasks to feel successful and fulfilled.
Being a bit of a miser, our personal preference appears to have been to find a good boat that will need a few up-grades. Unfortunately, once we start tearing into a little repair it evolves into the major rework! Our 1986 O'Day 272, bought last year, has received: Sail repair, furler repair, cushion replacement, galley top replacement, refridgerator, shore power and some Electrical, Fitting rebedding, some line and lock replacing, new Bimini, Polish and Waxing. 2014 projects: New Motor and lift bracket, New head and holding tank, New storage cabinets, Complete electrical, Repair sheet winches, replace sidelights (Windows),

More later... John

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Yup, that's pretty much the list. Unless you're going for a complete rebuild, ala Joe, may I suggest that you break the list up into "gottas" and "wannas".

Also, agreed this has been a good forum. I know that I've learned a lot over the years.

Looking forward to the spring of next year.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Happy Dolphin, who made your bimini? Do you have any pictures? Thanks for your
help to me. Pat