Thanks Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay Hill

Listening to what people want; you are the best at that Phil. Great job and thanks!!!! Maybe if enough activity exists in this forum alone, it could be used as market research for just HOW profitable it would be for Hunter to design a second line of boats with older style lines. Imagine, the first production boat builder able to satisfy more than 50% of the market demand by combining the great benefits of Hunter manufacturing with a greater variety in the market place. Now THAT'S innovation! Any comments?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
that's an interesting idea

One of the classic marketing dilemmas, in my opinion: the classic lines (which people clearly want) versus the big cockpits and huge-volume interiors (which people also clearly want). I have yet to see a builder make one compatible with the other, epsecially in a boat under 50 feet. But who knows, maybe this will inspire their designers to invent a way. They are, after all, innovative!

G

Gregory Stebbins

Golden oldies

Could we throw in some cockpit and deck wood, bronze, cleats with no moving parts, three strand and a tiller for us old folks? Oh yea and bring back the Atomic 4 please and bronze winches that go CLACK CLACK instead of tick tick tick.

J

Jay Hill

HOW 'bout submitting ideas?

Since few, if any, of us are honest-to-goodness boat designers, why don't we combine our input for what we'd want in an "old style" boat? Maybe that would help the inspiration along a little bit. Of course, Mr. Bob Knott just put a similar request out and it went, ... well, we got a little off the subject. So, here's another approach: For those that would like a Cherubini style or at least a boat with older style lines (no rules apply) please input the following: 1. Where are you willing to give up space? Smaller cockpit lockers to make more space below? Smaller nav table to get bigger salon table or vice-versa? Smaller v-berth to get larger head and/or separate shower compartment? Smaller "area in general" to get more cabinets/drawers/lockers? Smaller nav table to get larger nav instrument panel? Shorter overhead clearance to get extra provisions storage low in the bilge? Are you willing to give up some of that engine access to get a few more inches in the head? 2. If you want lower freeboard, where are you willing to make up for it? Would you prefer more boat in the water and then over come it with a larger sail plan with more controls and triple reef points standard? Cutter, sloop, ketch rig? HOW 'bout a schooner? 3. What are your performance requirements? What level of speed are you looking for? Need to win a few club races or are you willing to spend an extra day at sea getting to the next island? HOW stable should the vessel be in a large seaway? Would you prefer a heavier boat if you had more sail? HOW much horsepower would you like, and if a lot, where are you willing to give up space to fit the engine in? 4. What's your current favorite floorplan built by Hunter? (Does not have to be the vessel you own, or even one you would consider buying for whatever reason; just look through The Boats and pick one??) 5. HOW many of us actually use the stern steps? If used a lot, would it be OK for them to be "hidden" by being a foldout fiberglass ladder instead of the entire transom? 6. What suggestions would you have for the "arch" theory? Not have it at all or something "very different" like a double arch that actually looks like a permanent bimini but has one rail for traveller and another for mounting radar, solar panels, etc? 7. What equipment should be designed into the boat even if not included at purchase (other than the usual such as macerator, manual bilge pump, etc.)? A/C and heat, refridgeration, SSB antenna setup, ground plates, separate sump pumps, autopilot, radar, GPS cabling, stereo prewired, etc.? 8: Aesthetics: HOW many portlights and what shape should they be? What type of toerail? What shape/size pulpits, where and HOW much teak on exterior, optional hull colors, etc? 9. Operation: HOW many people do you want to be able to sit in the cockpit at the same time? What number of folks would you want to be able to handle the vessel, do you need to be able to single-hand it? Will you use a spinnaker? 10: And last: If you got everything you wanted with only minor compromises in space, size, handling, performance, aesthetics, operation, equipment, and price, HOW long should the boat be to get everything "sized" right? Would you then buy the boat you just designed if it was comparable in price to a current Hunter of similar dimensions? Hmmmm....this boat design stuff is tricky, no? Well, hope we have fun with this!!!! Leaving for FL in an hour, but look forward to responses when I return next week. I should not even mention this so the the folks up north won't be depressed, but I'm delivering a 44' from Ft. Myers to Key West; forecast is for clear skies, lows in the mid-60s, highs in the upper 70s, and 15-18K winds off the beam for the trip. Should be fun. Have a Great Week!! Jay

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I think that we can have it all

I too want the traditional look too, but I am NOT interested in any teak that is not easy to care for. Eyebrows and teak hand rails are not my idea of a good time. I prefer stainless or anodized to brass/bronze cleats etc. Metal toe rail for attachment of blocks. Need solid hatches and plenty of opening ports. The ports would be made of metal and have glass lens. A large cockpit with seats that allow a person to lay down on are a must. Larger v-berth is more important than a large head. Have you ever tried to sit or stand in the head in a seaway. Not much fun if you cannot brace yourself. We like our space down below too. Give us a little more beam and give up a half knot of speed any day. Need a fairly stiff boat that is well balanced. If you are a real racer why would you purchase a Hunter (this is your fathers Oldsmobile). Good performance and handling yes but we don't need blazing speed and give up creature comforts. Need a reliable engine that will take you through rough seas with enough power to keep the boat moving. Larger tankage for water and holding tanks with good ventilation (ya Peggy). The open transom is something that is great for sailors with kids and animals (is there any difference). I don't know if I would care about this if I were doing coastal cruising. Placements for heat/air, gensets etc. would be nice. Proper wiring harnesses and wiring channels would be outstanding. Wire and plumbing diagrams. This could go on for ever, but thats my two cents. I don't have as much wind as Jay. .

S

Stephen Ostrander

Legend

As an owner of this particular vintage Hunter I may be biased, but I think the Legend era models from '88 to about '94 (e.g., the 33.5, 35.5 and 37.5) have the right combination of style, comfort, and sailing charcteristics. Hunter should never have discontinued them. Bring them back! We want our own forum! :)

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
They're my favorite, asthetically

But I do think the new generation sails better, and easier, if perhaps not quite as fast. I still think the best-of-breed was the 35.5, and if you compare the cabins of the 35.5 and the 340 you'll see a striking similarity. I sold my 35.5 in 1993 and the model/year is still selling for the same price today.

J

Justin Wolfe

Yes too Legends!

I know I'm not alone as a few of you have already said this, but I must agree the Legend series was the best of Hunter. Everything from the 28.5 to 43. My favorite is the 37.5 for aeshetics, but I still enjoy looking at our 1991 35.5. And fun to sail too. I've sailed/cruised the 30, 33.5, 35.5, and 43 and I was pretty darn happy. If Hunter would have just refined the Legend series instead or throwing out the drawing table and started over I for one would be happier. As it is I've gone "to the other side" because of my absolute distaste of the new boats. It is one thing for someone who never owned a Hunter to say new Hunter's this & that, but when a happy former owner(s) of a Legend says it - to me that is sad.

J

Jim Rice

I tried...

Classic Hunters forever! I wrote to Hunter suggesting a second, more traditional line, particularly as some lines like Island Packet really trade on that look. No reply. Dead silence. PS--Wonder if they still have the molds for the 25, 27 and 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.