Thanks Christopher Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 25_73-83 NORTH POINT MARINA/WINTHROP HA IL
....group of gentle souls....

berserkers, vikings, frost giants, geats

gentle??

In calling the Vikings "gentle" I was using a literary device called irony. I, however, frequently like to repeat the prayers of the ill-fated monks of the 9th Century as these able seamen and ferocious maruaders/traders from the North descended upon the Christian monasteries on the coasts of England and Ireland: A furore Normanorum, libera nos Domine!-- "Oh Lord, deliver us from the fury of the Northmen!" Good luck and good sailing, Ron

njl

May 30, 2011
Westsail 32 NYC
Historic perspective should be about the accomplishment not the demise of natives that Columbus didn't cause.
I don't think it's possible to separate Columbus the brave sailor from Columbus the murderous slave trader. Not a nice fellow on the whole, but hey, it was a meaner time I suppose.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 25_73-83 NORTH POINT MARINA/WINTHROP HA IL
I don't think it's possible to separate Columbus the brave sailor from Columbus the murderous slave trader. Not a nice fellow on the whole, but hey, it was a meaner time I suppose.

Njl, without a lengthy dissertation on humanity, there has never been a time in human history that Civilization has advanced without consequences. Whenever a technologically advanced civilization encounters another that is less advanced, the outcome is predictable. History is the result of the actions of great men who are driven by their intelligence and greatness to push the limits of knowledge for, ultimately, the betterment of Mankind. It is only in our sadly politically correct world that we seek to demonize, devalue and denigrate these special persons to push a political agenda of sameness-- implying that all cultures have equal extrinsic value in the broad spectrum of Human history. This was patently untrue then as it is patently untrue now. Despite the toil, misery and deaths of thousands of slaves, the great pyramids would not have been built without the architects who designed them. Good luck and good sailing, Ron P.S. Oh, and that goes for Columbus as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.